• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Isn't she the cutest?

Started by Marydh, August 26, 2019, 06:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

So happy that Hannie posted these to work on.   
I'm wondering what you all see as far as her hair is concerned.
Any insights are very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mary

Marydh

Oops.  I'm also wondering what I should do with the handwriting on the top right.
Clone it away or try to keep.

Mhayes

Mary, ignore the handwriting as I think too hard to make sense of and also not sure it was on the original. One other thing and that is this photo is hand painted.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Mary, I thinks the little girl has blond curly hair that may be tied back in a pony tail.  Around her head there are wisps of curly hair and short curly bangs?
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks a lot Margie and Hannie.  Not sure how I'm going to handle the hand painting.  Should be quite a challenge... 😱

Lynnya

Good luck Mary.. I know you can bring her back  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Good luck Mary! Know you'll bring it back to it's former glory.  :up2:

Mhayes

Mary, I think if you work in small sections at a time you won't feel so overwhelmed and the little girl will come together. Here's how I would start and you will have your own way of approaching this.

l. Looking at the girl's face--your right--work on half to begin with and I would use the healing brush with a fairly small diameter. Her cheeks, lower 1/2 chin and neck, and upper forehead. By cleaning up this side 1st you will be able to copy and help repair the opposite side.
2.You can do the same type of clean up on your left side of the girl's face, but you will be more limited on what the healing brush can fix.
3. On your left, the girl's face can take samples from the right side that you have cleaned up. You mentioned cloning and it might work, but I like to use the lasso tool with a 2% feather and lasso an area that will work for the other side. I do a Ctrl J to make that selection is on its own layer and then use my arrow keys to move (make sure you no longer have the lasso tool selected) that selection in place. I then do a Transform>Flip Horizontal>"enter.
4. Add a layer mask to conceal all of that selection. With a soft brush and your foreground now white (shortcut key X to toggle back and forth) you can bring back areas you want showing.
5. Save your work and I safe multiple revisions in case I want to back to that revision. I know that you can keep changes in folders, but I keep it simple for a simple mind.  ::)
5. When I like my changes I will do a Merge Visible and duplicate that layer. The top layer will now be the layer I work on.
6. The girl's neck on your right is better than what's on your left, so I will do the same. I will also pay attention that there are more shadows on that side. For that I will duplicate that layer and use maybe "Multiply" and change the opacity so that it looks good. Remember when you change the mode, to later merge down so that you don't have problems with layers above.
7. The hair which has no useful info except for color will be something you work from scratch. Her dress work with what you have and repair the damage. It won't be perfect but since it is hand painted will work. The background you can either save for the last or do 1st.

Good luck and I think if you do small sections at a time, you will start to feel more comfortable with your restore.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks for the tips Margie.  I've been working for quite a while and feel more comfortable.  We shall see. :0)
Lynn and Shadow...thanks for the encouragement.  Always a help!

Marydh

I've gotten to the point where it is time for you guys to take a gander.
This was a joint effort between Jesterjeni and me.   She got me started with an amazing version of this adorable little girl.  I was really struggling until Jester came to my rescue. 
Anyway, see what you think.  Willing to do anything so the family will like it.Do you think the face needs to be lighter? wider?

Mhayes

Wow Mary, I think you and Jesterjeni hit a home run. The only thing I would change a little is to have her eyes a little lighter for the irises to show the brown and of course the pupils inside black. Just a thought. She is beautiful.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

You and Jester brought this little back, what a great job!  :up:

I think perhaps her cheeks are a little wider?  When you place the original over your WIP you will see what I mean.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks so much Margie and Hannie.    I'll make the changes and send her on.

Shadow

Beautiful Mary! The family will be so happy.

coopmj