• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

AWOL

Started by Mhayes, July 24, 2019, 09:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Around Aug 11 I plan on taking a 2 week vacation to Glacier National Park, but what I had planned on is that my computer may crashed and burn way before that. Right now it is just plain luck that I get it back up and running everyday. In the mornings the computer has shut down on its own and even though it looks like the computer is on I have to reboot. Then it tries to do updates, but it can't so it reverts to what it already has. This last time I entered a Safe Enter when Windows came up and it worked. I hate the thought of buying a new computer, new software and installing. I guess getting 9 1/2 years out my tower and about the same for Photoshop; I should be glad it has lasted this long. What I hate most will be losing PS CS5.

So if I disappear from sight occasionally you will know why.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

kiska

Can't you copy cs5 to a flash drive and then install on a new computer?
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

CS5 should work with Windows 10 but you may need to rightclick the .exe and change compatibility mode to Windows 7. 
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Sorry to hear about the computer. And 9+ years is a very good innings for a computer.

I had a controlled handover to a new computer in June (the old one was still running) so I was able to deactivate CS6 and then reactivate it on my new one. You can (or at least you could in the past; don't know if there would be problems now) have Adobe support restore your license after a computer death so you can activate on the replacement, but if you can avoid that step it would probably be simpler.

Jo Ann

Mike S.

Margie,

If you have your original Photoshop install disks or install files with the License Key, you can deactivate PS5 (go to Help and click on Deactivate) on your old computer and re-Install on your new computer.  If your computer dies and you cannot deactivate you may still be able to install (with the install disk or files) on your new computer as Adobe lets you install on a maximum of two computers on one license.  If you don't have the install disk but have the install files on your old computer, now is a good time to make a backup.

Of course this does not ease the pain and misery ($$$$) of installing all your software on the new computer.

Best of luck,

Mike
Mike S.

Mhayes

Thanks Everyone, for the advice. I'm hoping that after my significant other comes over this weekend, he may be able to fix the problem. I'm still thinking the hard drive is getting ready to die. The problem happens that even though I don't shut down my computer, it does it half way as it tries to do updates. Then in the morning I either have a blank monitor or the screen is telling me it is trying to do the uploads, but it can't. So I reboot and this time I hit the key for Safe rather than a Normal enter. It tells me it can't do the changes, but revert back. That is the only reason I'm able to be on now. Sometimes it makes me want to be on an island with no computers!

Forgot to mention that I do have an external hard drive, so that may allow me to copy over if needed.

Thanks again for all your help.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Well I'm still in limbo with a computer that sometimes works and sometimes not. My significant other was unable to make it down because of helping a student get his flying license. But on the bright side I'm getting ready to take off for a much needed vacation. The bright side is no computer to fuss at.

Adios

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Have a great vacation Margie, forget about your computer!  :)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]