• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Another lady with hat

Started by Marydh, June 27, 2019, 04:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Hi there.  Please take a look at this and see if I missed anything.  Is her face color ok?
Her outfit is a different color than the other lady with a hat.  I'll ask the distributor if I should have them both the same color.
Thanks,
Mary

Jo Ann Snover

I think the WIP is a little too saturated - see how you think this version of your WIP looks

There are some dark color areas below the fingers that shouldn't be there, and the rings on her fingers have gone - they have that same bright gold coloring that the earrings and brooch do.

The other thing to consider is all the background stuff that's gone (which may be OK) - look at some outlines over the original and then over your WIP for comparison:

Even if you decide to let the oil lamp and furniture go, perhaps some more of the arm chair in which she's sitting should stay? I'd get your distributor's OK on the approach though.

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Mary, I like your version and yes, might be nice to add the chair if there was enough information there to restore one. I can't see that there is and what is funny is that the mind places her in one. Beautiful!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Lynnya

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Marydh

Thank you all so much!  I really appreciate it.
Jo Ann, what did you do to the original to bring out more detail?  Did you put the original in screen mode?  Never thought to do that.  I couldn't decide on the rings but it does make sense that they are there.  I'll take another look at the background.  Btw, why didn't you include the flying dog?

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Marydh on June 28, 2019, 12:04:59 PM
Thank you all so much!  I really appreciate it.
Jo Ann, what did you do to the original to bring out more detail?  Did you put the original in screen mode?  Never thought to do that.  I couldn't decide on the rings but it does make sense that they are there.  I'll take another look at the background.  Btw, why didn't you include the flying dog?

What flying dog???

I overlaid the original with two curves adjustment layers in screen blend mode - one at 100% and the other at reduced opacity with a little gray on the mask so I could still see the whites and the face/hands. I also added a curves adjustment layer in Hard Light blend mode (reduced opacity) to give a boost to contrast which can help clarify details.

You can then add a few layer comps to see just the original; adjusted original tones with outlines; outlines over the WIP and so on

There was some sort of arch over the top that looked too regular to be damage, but I couldn't decide if that was furniture or a decorative border on the original, or part of wood paneling in the room, or...

This may not be useful for this image, but I've used this sort of technique before when trying to "see" parts of the original. For very faded images, the adjustment layers would be in multiply blend mode, for example. Sometimes you just have to try several things to see what works best.

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting the image should be that bright, just wanted to show how I tried to bring out the details I could only see hints of in the original
Jo Ann

Marydh

Sorry Jo Ann. I have a rather warped sense of humor. 
Thanks for all those tips.  I took another look and I think the arch might be the top of a gate.  I think at this point I may look for more of the chair, add rings, get rid of black under fingers and that's about it.  Maybe fiddle with the hat.
(And yes, I knew you didn't want to suggest that the photo be that bright.)
Thanks again.
Mary

Jo Ann Snover

Jo Ann

Marydh

I hope this is better.  At least she's not sittin' on nuttin'.

I just looked at how the picture looks here.   Do her cuffs look a tad too grey?

Jo Ann Snover

I like the chair - it grounds her better than before, I think. The lace isn't super-bright white, but I think that's probably what you'd see in an old photo.

On her hand with the rings, I see a couple of things. I still see the colored marks below her fingers (on what is now the chair arm). Can you get rid of those? Also, the position of the ring on the left side of the photo is much further back (at the base of the finger) than in the original.

On the lower left of the image, there are two pale stripes in the background right at the edge (sometimes those are easier to see if you press F to switch to full frame and then can scroll past the image edge).

Otherwise good to go I think
Jo Ann

Marydh

I thought you meant the other hand. :0)

Mhayes

Jo Ann, I agree the chair grounds the picture. I thought you were leaning towards a chair with detail when I couldn't see any. I like what Mary has now--very subdued, but does the trick.  :up:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

What a stern looking lady.  :/
Candice

Marydh

Yeah Candy.  I don't know why they couldn't smile once in a while way back then.  I guess they'd have to hold it too long?
Hope you had a great birthday!