• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

By the pool

Started by kimh, June 17, 2019, 05:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimh

Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate some feedback on this work in progress please.
There is a colour issue with her right hand that's had me stumped for a while, I'm not sure how to fix it.

Thanks,
Kim

Original

WIP1

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Lynnya

Hi Kim.. I'm sure others will have good answers for you.. if it was me.. I'd maybe add a little more shading to the hand - look up some stock photos of hands in similar positions - I think adding some noise to both the hand and the knee would bring them more in line with the original.. If you add a new layer - fill it with 50%gray - soft light blend mode - add noise (quite a lot) then gaussian blur about 1 px (experiment) and then sometimes I  will add - filter, stylize, emboss. ... gives the apprearance of skin.. you may not need the sylize but play with it and see how it comes out.  If you make your 50% gray layer a smart layer you can always go back and adjust the amounts.. I mostly don't bother...
I think it looking pretty good so far  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

You are well on your way Kim. Lynn's tips will help for sure. You might check out Phlern's skin texture video as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjyXjTAM0Aw 
Good luck!

Jo Ann Snover

I agree that the issue with the hand is shadows & highlights, not color. You can probably use the arm for texture as the photo isn't really in focus, so the skin texture isn't sharp.

Overall, I think the contrast is too high and that has given the appearance of over-saturated colors. If you look at the sky, it's an overcast day - meaning less vivid contrast and softer shadows. The woman's tee shirt has lost all of its shadow detail as too much of it is black; the highlight detail on her forehead and tops of cheeks is all but gone. If you scale back the contrast a bit to get it closer to the original look, I think you'll see the saturation begin to look better too.

Not sure if you saw the damage on the lower right side of the photo in the water next to the woman and along the bottom edge; that'll be easier to see and fix once the brights aren't quite so bright too :)

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

kimh

I've added some toning and noise to the hand, I think its nearly there but not quite, does it need a bit more blur, also dropped the saturation down.

Thanks
Kim

WIP2

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Lynnya

Lookin really good Kim... re the blur.. maybe just a tiny smidge..Great Job.. :up: :up:

Jo Ann Snover

It all looks much better to me. Saturation/color/contrast look great.

I'd probably skip the blur (I stick to the more texture side of the spectrum) - at some level that's a judgment call and you might want to ask your distributor what they'd prefer

On the hand, I think a couple of tiny tweaks will finish it off. The pinky gets too skinny too quickly - just add a little finger on the side adjacent to the ring finger. The index finger gets too wide towards the top (edge of the photo) - it shouldn't splay out after the knuckle. Just adjust it so the finger is straighter. The thumb gets a little pointy at the end - thumbs have roughly even thickness along the length.
Jo Ann

kimh

Thanks Lynnya & Jo Ann,
If there's nothing else I'll submit and see how it goes

Kim

WIP3

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Jo Ann Snover

The hand looks much better to me.

The only other thing is I still see damage along the bottom edge of the picture in the water. Look at this version that I've darkened a lot to show the damage:

Jo Ann

kimh

Cleaned up the water in the pool and a few other minor touchups.

Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Shadow

Beautiful Kim.  :up:

Lynnya

:up: :up: :up: great job Kim

Jo Ann Snover

I think that's good to go!
Jo Ann

Marydh

kimh

Woo hoo, thanks everyone.

Kim
Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo