• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Cutiepie again

Started by Marydh, June 12, 2019, 05:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Could really use some opinions/advise on this one.  It's obviously a WIP.  Haven't dealt with the bottom, sox and shoes.    Wondering what you think of the colors of everything.  Is the face ok?  Also,  can't figure out what to do with the plaid trim.  I've tried a few things but nothing seems to look right. 
BTW, do you think it's a boy or a girl?
Thanks a bunch.
Mary

Jo Ann Snover

This is so much work! You've managed to get a lot done already (and this often feels to me, when I work on something like this, that I'll never get to the end.

Couple of thoughts - and to answer the last question first, I think it's probably a girl. Some cons: there's no visible hair, which I would have expected there to be (hair in a bun came later). They used to put boys in very frilly costumes at a young age, but given the pleats and decorations in this dress and the age of the child, I would say girl. The hat's a puzzle as it doesn't fit any of the "looks" I'd have expected for boy or girl!

I think the mouth shape doesn't quite match the original - you've made it narrower on both sides. The eyes are a bit more rounded on your WIP than in the original - the inner eye and the upper eyelid. The net effect is more of an "oooh" face than the original.

I must be seeing jewelry and pins everywhere today, but isn't that a metal and jewel pin in the hat brim (on the left of the picture)?

Overall, I think the contrast is a bit too high and the brights a little too light. For the plaid, I think that's why it looks a little different from the original. I'm guessing there's no whites there, just lighter and paler threads.

Not sure how much help that is, but... :)
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Wow Mary, great job so far. I agree with Jo Ann that maybe the contrast is a bit too high. I think girl, but I know people back then that dressed their little boys up. They were never the same after that.  ;)
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Oh Mary it's gonna be so beautiful.. great job so far.. :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Candice

She's coming out great!! 
Candice

Marydh

Thanks Candy!
Quick question.  What is the best way to adjust the contrast?

Jo Ann Snover

If you made the higher contrast with adjustment layers, you would just alter opacity or modify those layers. If the changes are baked in to pixels (which I assume they are given the question?), try this:

I basically darkened your WIP with a curves adjustment layer set to multiply blend mode to bring down the highlights. Then added a second curves adjustment layer and brought up the blacks and down the whites - flattening the image out.

Just for comparison purposes, I adjusted the original image - less saturated and a little cooler as well as relatively low contrast. I think older studio images often didn't have that "pop" we might expect from a modern studio portrait. Always a judgment call as to what's fading or damage vs. just how the photo was as printed

Does that help?
Jo Ann

Marydh

Yes Jo Ann, that helps a lot.  I'll give it a whirl. 

Marydh

Hi gang.  See what you think of the Cutiepie now with suggested changes. 
I hate to send her away.

Lynnya

Mary she looks absolutley gorgeous! I bet you do hate to send her away but someone is going to be so thrilled to have her back...
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Marydh

Thanks so much Lynn.  That's a good way to look at it. 

Hannie

Very beautiful restore Mary!  :up:
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks so much Hannie!

Shadow

Beautiful Mary!  :up: