• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Young Gent

Started by Lynnya, June 10, 2019, 09:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi gang... just starting on this one with a FFT filter first but... he's holding something I think in his fingers... I'm thinking it may be a cigar or a big pen?? or should we call it damage....any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

I can't tell what it is Lynn, weird placement of the hand.  I wonder if it really is his hand? 
Not much help. I know...  ;)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Is it perhaps folded sleeve, but no hand? In other words, perhaps his right arm (left of picture) was bent 90 degrees, resting on a prop, but all we can see is the top of the fabric folds?

Even with an angle in his stance - back shoulder is higher than front - I don't think we can see enough of him to be seeing a hand.

But you could certainly made a credible restore with both arms by his sides...
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks Hannie and JoAnn... I'll go with the sleeve.. :cool: makes it a whole lot easier... Thanks...

Shadow

Like Hannie said, can't really tell for sure so we vote for sleeve as well. Good luck.

Mhayes

Go for easy and make it a sleeve.  :cool:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

The sleeve seems to be the least of my problems with this one lol.... I should have left if for Shadow or Candy... :P

Shadow

Hey girl. If the texture is giving you fits, you might try a tip from http://www.tipsquirrel.com/use-fft-to-reduce-texture/   They run the FFT filter and then a wee bit of Gaussian blur. Tried it real quick and it helped some.

Your orig w/Auto Curve and B&W Adj layers

FFT filter on Red Channel

Add Gaussian Blur 1.0

Lynnya

Yes it did help indeed... and yes I'm having trouble with this image...and yes it's giving me fits..I have too many layers to count and am totally lost  at this point.. (as usual)... anyway.. here's where I'm at..and I just noticed that I"ve lost his teeth...

Jo Ann Snover

So I made a few changes to your WIP after making some outlines over the original. I think some key differences (very small, but they change how he looks) in the left ear, hairline and chin alter his appearance. See what you think (if you flip mine above yours, you'll get the idea; if you want more details on what I altered, let me know :)

On a side note, I think there's a square shield shaped lapel pin in the original - I realize you treated it as damage, and it may be, but the shape seems so man-made. I looked online for a similar pin and couldn't find anything. There's no writing or design on it, which seems a bit unlikely, so unless anyone else knows what sort of pin this might be, perhaps removing it is better than leaving it?
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks Jo Ann. ..appreciate your help.

Shadow

Look at you go! Glad it helped. Beautiful work Lynn.  :up:

Mhayes

Looking good Lynn. I'm kind of lazy in that I save versions of my work and often with my layers I do a merge visible and work up. That probably doesn't make much sense.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

I used to do that all the time and then I'd get to a point that I'd merged when I shouldn't have and can't undo it.. since meeting Jo Ann I've been trying to keep my layers seperate so I can go back and tweak.. I stay with the plan for so long then I lose it and say "to heck with it" and merge. What I've been doing lately too is "image - duplicate image" with no layers so I have a flat copy to steal from if I need a patch of something.. then I chuck the duplicate away and make another updated duplicate as I go along.. keeps me with a "layered" work flow.... for a while anyway til I lose it.. :cool:

Jo Ann Snover

Avoiding the padded rooms is always a good plan for the day :)

As the advocate for layers, and at the risk of turning things even more crazy-making, Groups can help keep things organized and easier on the eyes. I'm assuming you name all your layers something useful, but having logical groupings can simplify. So if there was lots of damage on a bride, having a group Bride with layers for veil, hair, face, bodice, bouquet etc. can make the layer's palette look less cluttered when you're working on the groom or some other part of the image and the Bride group is closed.

And if you're not already running for sanity in another post, do you use layer comps? They are wonderful for letting you switch between different views of all your layers - one click in the layer comps palette to get layers turned on or off, or get various opacities of layers (where you're trying to decide if you should dial back some adjustment you made).

Here endeth my sales pitch :)
Jo Ann