• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Sepia Couple

Started by Lynnya, June 06, 2019, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi gang...  I could do with some initial guidence on this lovely image.. I plan on having two versions, one black and white and one a bit more  sepia so QC can choose. My question is what to do with the black area at the lower end of the picture.... there is nothing in any channels - my instinct would be to soften it and crop it but that's a no no.. what do you think..
Thanks in advance

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

Lynn, not sure what the best solution is.  When you crop while keeping the same proportions you lose a bit of the visible lower part of the photo.

When you don't crop there will always be that darker area with practically no detail.  You could then extend some of the visible detail into the dark area (in a fading mode).

Perhaps you can ask your distributor which she would prefer?
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Hannie... I emailed Bambi for advice.  I think your suggestion of extending down and fading out may be the answer... I'll wait on Bambi. I'm not thrilled about the way the crop looks... I could also lighten the dark area a tad so it's not so heavy...

Jo Ann Snover

Another thought is that you can use the fabric texture to extend the clothes down - this is just a quick illustration, not finished quality, to give you an idea. The healing brush transfers chunks of the texture to the painted overlay. I think you still need a darkened area to fade into at the lower edge. See what you think

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

By the way, Bambi had told me no sepia was allowed for images such as this one, so I submit only black and white (I always have a layer comp with what I like as a sepia version though as I think it looks so much more of the period)
Jo Ann

Shadow

This sure is a small photo. Imagine it has plenty of sentimental value to the family. Am certain you will make it gorgeous ... however they decide you do the crop or extension. Look forward to your next post.

Lynnya

Thanks all for help... this is where I'm at.. comments please.. Bambi gave me permission to crop a bit and vignette... Is it too dark???

Shadow

Looking good. Is that a line on his face at the end of his nose over his mouth? See what you think ... lightened it up a bit. Just an idea.

Candice

I couldn't do it any better, Shadow.  Love the suits!
Candice

Lynnya

Thanks Lyn... will address that line and work on the midtones.. I thought it might be a bit dark.. back at ya later :up:

Lynnya

I can barely see the line on my screen - see if it's gone here..

Candice

Candice

Lynnya

Thanks Candy... maybe I'll try sending them home..

Mhayes

Looks great!

Jo Ann I agree on the sepia, but the problem is when there are several old photos for that family that appear to be sepia and each volunteer returns back are different variations. By staying with B/W Quality Control can make the decision if sepia would be the best option. This way the photos stay more consistent.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]