• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Graduate

Started by Shadow, June 05, 2019, 03:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hi Gang. It's a dreary rainy day here so was most excited to get a new one from Bambi. Looks like lots and lots of wee little spots that look way worse now that I added a Curves and Channel Mixer adj.  :D  Do you think the lighter area on the cap on the side with the tassel is damage or lighting?

Jo Ann Snover

If you're asking about that large triangular space below the board, I think that's the background showing through the space between cap and tassel. If you look at the shape of the cap on the other side, you can see the slope

If you look at her hair on the other side - right of image - it's tufty around the ears (which look almost Vulcan to me, but I think that's a function of how the hair has hidden parts of them), so I think that makes sense of the tassel touching the hair to complete the triangle.

If you meant some other part of the cap, I don't see any light area other than the damage on and just under the mortar board.

I guess you'll be fine working on this unless the sun makes an appearance?
Jo Ann

Shadow

Thanks Jo Ann. Here's the latest. How's it look on your screens?

Jo Ann Snover

Couple of things I noticed, plus one I'm not sure about. The query is about the two marks on her upper lip - I think they might be moles or freckles, not damage. If that's the case, you wouldn't want to remove them. I wonder if there's any other photo of this person in the family's set?

Little niggles:

On the bottom left, there's some jagged bits on her robe.
On the cap on the right, the bump in its shape got straightened out - I don't think that was damage
On her ear on the right of the picture, you covered up a lot of the top of it with hair.

The JPEG artifacts in this are quite noticeable (I don't think that's anything you did). On her eyebrow on the left side of the photo, for example, the top ends up in a straight line, which looks a bit odd. Perhaps the distributor could say whether it's best to just leave these be or treat them as damage to be fixed. I don't know why these would be there other than some sort of mistake in saving the files when the damaged originals were scanned?
Jo Ann

Shadow

Thanks Jo Ann. Appreciate the feedback.  :)