• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Friends

Started by Shadow, May 31, 2019, 07:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

So, just wondering ...  Patch and heal for all these fine scratches or is there a better way?  ::)

Orig

Color corrected

Close up of scratches

philbach

Well sometimes what works is to copy the layer and use darken as the blending mode than move the upper layer up one click and over one click.  Adding a mask to that layer and using it carefully can help some. 
phil

Jo Ann Snover

I have another one from this family with similar markings. I tried several approaches - the one above, and also using a copy that was blurred rather than shifted in darken blend mode. I wasn't happy with the loss of texture so I'm using clone and heal and trying to be zen about the time it takes (along with interruptions from life that provide a break!)

It's tedious, but with a small soft edged brush it goes reasonably quickly and at least this isn't fabric with stripes going in the opposite direction to the striations!!
Jo Ann

Lynnya

This is one of those "I didn't know how bad it was til I got it" images... I'm with Jo Ann... Zen mode and nice music...
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

Does anyone remember the albums that you use have a cardboard page that the pictures stuck to?  That's what these picture's artifacts remind me of.  In fact, I still have one in my cedar chest.  Bought it at TG&Y when I was a teen.  You're going to get all kinds of answers for solutions.  Both Phil and Jo have very good ideas. Even I played with it. I did a little bit on the girls dresses (lowerpart) legs, faces and hands using a light smudge, clone, and a couple other things.  It's one of those pictures that is indeed a challenge, but you will make it beautiful!!

Candice

Shadow

Many thanks gang. Will give your tip a shot Phil. Even if it doesn't work I get to try something new ... always like trying new ways of doing something. Good luck Jo Ann. Know you'll work wonders with yours. I do remember those old albums Candy. Have boxes of rescued photos from those old albums waiting to be scanned and touched up. And Lynn, you are so right! We're ready and going in! ...

Shadow

This is where we're at. We skipped wine and went straight to the rootbeer float for our break! What do you see on your screens? Thanks gang.  :)

Jo Ann Snover

I think you're most of the way there. It did seem better to me with a slightly darker midtones (just pulled down the curve in an adjustment layer. On the lower right, there's what looks like a light leak in the original image (my picture had one too); if you darkened that slightly it'd be almost invisible.

To see the following, I had to zoom in past 100%. On the telephone pole behind the woman on the right, there's a bright scratch down the center; On the woman on the left's face, there's a bright spot at the corner of her mouth, and on the woman on the right, a bright splotch on her chin.

As far as all the other micro-scratches on the background or clothes, I don't think they'll affect the print, which is I assume what QC will care about.

I'm not a rootbeer fan, so I'm going to find a cup of tea and something sweet :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Lovely Lyn, Jo Ann's tweaks will finish it off perfectly!
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Thanks Jo Ann and Lynn.  Did the tweaking and sending them home.

Candice

Unless my eyes are going... I see some squares.

Candice

Shadow

Hannie

I think those squares are jpeg artifacts.  The original photo is of bad quality, covered with artifacts and it is not easy to get rid of.  Smoothing around the edges in some areas may help?
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow