• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Young women in the studio

Started by Jo Ann Snover, May 22, 2019, 07:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo Ann Snover

My latest restore is a lovely old studio shot of two young women with lots of spotty mold damage and some fading. In addition to knowing if I missed anything, I'd appreciate any feedback on the choices about the card on which the photo was mounted (filled it in even though I think it was originally a rounded corner); border of photo (I fixed the turned down corner and dirt around the paper,  but left the crooked bottom); color - I made it a very slight sepia but it could be monochrome.

Just for comparison (given the requests for something smoother on a prior restore) here's something that has had its roughness smoothed out. I don't like it, but could upload both and let someone else make the call. Any thoughts?

Jo Ann

Candice

I actually prefer the 1st picture, Jo. The smoother one is a little blurry and takes away from the details.  However, I was playing with it and overlaid the smoother pic over the other and then brought down the fill to about 48%.  It isn't as crisp as the first but neither is it as fuzzy as the other.   I also lightened the shadows on the left woman's right eye just a tad.

These are great old pictures.  I love the work you are doing!   :up:

Candice

Jo Ann Snover

Thanks for the feedback. Here's what I've submitted (but if there's more suggestions, I can always submit another version)

I used a different method to smooth things out, masked the layer (to keep important details) and reduced the opacity (to about 60%). I think it's a reasonable middle ground

I did lighten that eye a little too.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Looks great to me.. it's hard to know how far to go with these oldies.. well for me it is.. it's not really my forte... I do love to see the work done on them tho.  :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

The family will be thrilled with your restoration!   :)
Candice

Mhayes

Beautiful. I think it very much kept the look of the period.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Wonderful restore Jo Ann.  :up:

Marydh