• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Repeating Pattern

Started by Lynnya, May 22, 2019, 04:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi gang.. been working on this one.. need all those expert old photo eyes please.. started with a FFT filter. Having trouble with postimage so using my smugmug...

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Teeny little pik ... little smooth right at the top of her head. Otherwise, you are right up there with all the famous artists! You go girl!!

Jo Ann Snover

What a lovely old photo!

I have a couple of thoughts - see what you think of this edit of your WIP. There is one small hard edge on the young lady's sleeve, but the other suggestions are trying to get the look of the original a little more closely

I am guessing you were attempting to hide the hand when you darkened the lower part of the portrait, but I think your hand is OK as is - fingers can't be see given the angle - so you don't want to alter the original lighting.

I did a little shading around her eyes, nose and mouth; slightly accented her upper lip line in the center (based on my best estimate of the original); made the hairline match the original (which I think was quite geometric as was the style of the day); extended her eyebrows just a tad as they were quite strong in the original. She was a very striking young woman :)

A slightly more controversial edit - and you'll have to ask Bambi if she thinks this will pass QC or not - is to use a high pass filter layer to get back the edges on the pattern of her dress which were really softened by the FFT process. I know all the rules about sharpening, but my take on this is that you aren't sharpening the original, just trying to remove the softening the restoration process introduced.

QC may not like my point of view :)
Jo Ann

Candice

Ah, so you're the one that beat me to this lovely girl.  Isn't it a grand picture!
Candice

Lynnya

It's a beauty.. I'm wondering if you could have done a better job Candy... :)

Lynnya

Thanks Lyn and Jo Ann... I was hesitant to have it look too sharp or contrasty so I probably went too far the other way... I'm not entirely happy with it.. I prefer your edits Jo.. will work onnit some more and repost..
Candy? do you have any suggestions? you are so good at the oldies but goodies. I'm actually tempted to start over..

Candice

Lynn, you've done a wonderful job with your restoration. I wouldn't start over, unless you just want to.  Having the FFT as a tool is wonderful.  Mine went out the window when I upgraded to Windows 10.  I remove texture by hand and by slow and painful smudge.  I wouldn't change a thing.  I did play with her though.  :hug:

Candice

Lynnya

Thanks Candy for your kind words.. here is where I'm at with Jo Ann's suggestions.. I think that little bump on the top of her hair is in the orgininal...I think...photoshop keeps crashing when I try to upload to post image.. ???

Before and After

Candice

I wonder what she looked like in later years.  She was a pretty girl, to be sure!
Candice

Jo Ann Snover

I think that looks good - I would say she's done.

The following is not meant to suggest you should do anything more, but for anyone else happening on this thread in the future, I thought I'd post what Affinity Photo's FFT filter was able to do with the original. I think it did a really good job of getting the bobble texture out while keeping the sharpness. I took their result into Photoshop (I still do all my editing there even though there are some useful tools in Affinity) to see what making some (very quick and dirty) edits to the face was like, plus some tonal/color corrections

I know that Affinity Photo may not be available to everyone, but I'm happy to run the filter on an image and give that to anyone working on a textured restore who would like to give that a shot.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

That did a pretty decent job!

Mhayes

Great tips. This is remarkable how this turned out!  :wnw:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]