• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Flooding in the Central Plains

Started by Mhayes, May 21, 2019, 03:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mhayes

Hi Everyone,

Staying home today because my road is flooded her in Kansas--nothing serious, but don't want to get stuck or washed into a flooded dish. Right now Oklahoma is getting hard with tornadoes and flooding. Kansas a few tornadoes but mainly flooding. Also, do not want to leave out Nebraska.

We need to do a push to get the remaining photos done, so we can start helping those hit by the flooding.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-05-20-severe-storms-flooding-tornado-oklahoma-texas?fbclid=IwAR2oZp7C2265Tvda-05FaNlJX7XAgfMhB7cueYCDFE2-a9Jl1EMmf50_G7M

The link above from the Weather Channel has a video and may be slow in loading up.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Sorry to hear your area has flooding Margie. Stay safe!

Jo Ann Snover

That's more mess for an area already hard hit by earlier rains & flooding. Glad you're home and dry.
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Thanks. I feel bad for those in Oklahoma that got hit double with tornadoes and floods. It was so cool here yesterday with temps around 53 that we weren't hit with the tornadoes or hail. I just noticed in my post that I didn't want to be "washed into a flooded dish." Their even trickier than a ditch. I haven't been drinking either.  :)
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice

Lynnya

Stay safe Margie in that dish.. we need you on this wall.....
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mike S.

Margie,

That dish is not the size of a wine glass is it?

Mike
Mike S.

Mhayes

Mike, I believe when you signed on you were sworn to secrecy regarding the behavior of any or all board members. Just saying.  :police:   
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike S.

Margie,

Consider my lips sealed.

Mike
Mike S.

Candice

Candice

Mhayes

Thanks Mike. There will be a short probation period. 8)

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike S.

Margie,

Do I get early release for good behavior?

Mike
Mike S.

Marydh

Oh Margie! Every time I hear Kansas on the news/weather I think of you.  I know you'll be careful and you must be sort of used to some of this but this so extraordinary and tragic.  I feel terrible for all those people.
Mary

Mhayes

I worked an extra hour at work because I needed to finish a case--big mistake. It was raining so hard that I had to be careful driving for fear of hydroplaning. When I get to my gravel road a half mile from my house; the entire road is flooded between fields. I worried more about stalling out that any safety concerns as to be washed away as fields on both sides.. When I got to the bend in the road there I could see the river and it was running high, but still have the dame further upstream to control the flow. The final yards to my house the road was covered and some had washed into my garage.

This morning I learned that at 1:30 am the police were waking people in an apt complex to evacuate because a lot more water was going to be released from the lake. The poor clerk at the convenience store where I stopped to get coffee was one of those. The water was already so high she couldn't get her car out. Why the City allowed an apartment complex to be in a flood zone is beyond me--even with a lake to hold part of it back. There is another branch of the same river that comes from another direction and no control on it.

My situation is mild compared to what is happening to others. However, it does make me nervous knowing that more heaving rain is coming tonight and some again tomorrow. Below is a picture of the river  behind where I live. The other two are of shot of where the water is being let out and you can see it as it flows downstream.

P.S. Mike, you will continue to wear an ankle bracelet and being under Pat's supervision.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]