• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pretty in Pink

Started by coopmj, April 30, 2019, 06:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coopmj

Hi Everyone,

Looking for suggestions and help on this one.  The color definitely isn't quite right... 

As always, many thanks!

Mary

WIP

Original

Jo Ann Snover

I have a couple of suggestions on fixes to the color - one adjusting your WIP and the other working from the original. I also put together a composite explaining the process I used to adjust the original (other than doing a very quick and dirty background cleanup, I didn't restore anything). See what you think

The changes to your WIP were with two curves adjustment layers; one to find a neutral gray as the WIP looked a little yellow to me. The other was to restore some contrast as it was a little flat.

Depending on how you did the restore, I think it probably makes sense to tweak your WIP, but I thought I'd post the other approach in case it was helpful for future restores.
Jo Ann

coopmj

Thank you Jo Ann!  (As always, I've put your tips in my "Jo Ann's Suggestions" folder which sits prominently on my computer desktop for quick referral! :) )

Here's where I am, now

Jo Ann Snover

Looks pretty close now. A couple of things stood out to me - 1) the blue color of the shadows down below and 2) the umbrella has disappeared (almost). In a smaller way, the shadows on the girl's arms seemed a tad dark. Take a look at this touch up on your latest WIP.

I picked a color from the background that looked "typical" and added a color adjustment layer (which will use the foreground color you just picked by default). Set that to Color blend mode, invert the mask to black and then paint in gray over the blue-ish areas.

For the light/dark issues I added two Curves adjustment layers one in screen & the other in multiply blend modes, masks set to black. Then I painted in dark gray on the umbrella and her hat front (multiply) and arms (screen). Soft brushes and gaussian blur when needed to hide edges.

See what you think
Jo Ann

coopmj

Looks wonderful!!  I'll make these corrections.  Thank you again!

Mhayes

Mary, your restore looks great!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]