• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mom and Me

Started by Shadow, May 01, 2019, 09:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Another good oldie. How's it looking on your screens?  :)  Any tips to make it better?  Thanks gang.

Candice

I don't think this one has a border/frame either.  You can see the picture under it.  That's the same thing that I saw with my "another young lady".  You might ask because having 3 sides, unless it was cut off from the top, doesn't make sense.
Candice

Jo Ann Snover

Most of it looks fine to me, but the mother's face has some areas I think need work - especially the teeth and upper lip. But the shading has been reduced so much - a little too much I think - that her face looks very different from the original.

Take a look at this crop of just the faces (enlarged a bit to illustrate better) - the unrestored but tonally corrected original and your WIP

Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

Your distributor might have an opinion as to whether it's worth the work to restore the edges, but I think Candy is right - take a look at this version of the original with some additional multiply (via a curves adjustment layer) and contrast applied to just the edges (put the adjustment layers in a group and masked that to make it simpler)

There's a lot there although there'd be quite a bit more touch up work required...
Jo Ann

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Candice on May 01, 2019, 10:02:52 PM
...You might ask because having 3 sides, unless it was cut off from the top, doesn't make sense.

At a guess, I would say that the original was larger and had a border. The picture was cut to fit on three sides and then was in a frame/mat which caused the fading on all four edges.

Alternatively, I'm not sure the bottom is all white - I think there's a little detail there too but the original is overexposed so it's harder to see.
Jo Ann

Mhayes

The dimension on this photo is 3.5 x 5 and I'm guessing the original was a 4 x 6. I agree that that having 3 sides doesn't make sense, but that is going to happen with the border or without it. When these photos are sent off to print, they are put on the nearest standard size, which in this case would be a 4 x 6. If you can do without the border and finish it with no problem, then go ahead. I'm guessing this photo could have had others stuck on top of it or even in a plastic sleeve in an album. If you do the border as you have done, it really will be more of a crop as it will not have that thin a border. This is an old photo and even without the water damage, time would have caused deterioration.

See what your distributor thinks and even more feedback from others. Kudos for taking this on.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Many thanks gang!! Better?

Jo Ann Snover

Wonderful! Yes, much better :)

Couple of really minor lines - like little dark bar codes, to the right of her nose and on her lips, but otherwise I think you're done
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Beautiful Lyn  :loveit:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]