• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

The Muckerupper has struck...someone left the gate open

Started by Lynnya, April 19, 2019, 03:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

I'm not sure why I would want to torture myself so.. but it seems I do.. just starting on this one.  Have done some color correcting - toned down the dress (will tweak later) and gotten rid of some of the blue damage/cast.. how does the color look to you...I'll be tweaking more later after a year or two of damage cleanup...is it a bit on the yellow side? now I look at it?

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

I admire you guys who take these wedding pictures.  I know the family will love 'em coming home and you made it happen!!  :hug:
Candice

Jo Ann Snover

You really will have your work cut out on this one - there's the bride's reflection as well as her front view!!

I did a color correction on the original - including darkening the center portion which seems overly bright to me - and this version is a little different. It's hard to get a good feel for the finished scene when the original is almost like a bowl of colored sprinkles from all the damage, but see what you think. Mine is colder and a bit more contrast-y than your correction.

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Nice color JoAnn... yes.. I do have my work cut out for me.. I have a plan.. not to say it'll work tho... :crazy:  I'll correct that color again later..

Lynnya

Hey JoAnn.. would you have any idea what that thing is behind the brides reflection.. looks like some legs of some sort.. I have no idea..

Jo Ann Snover

If you're looking at what I think you're looking at ( :) ) I think it's the table legs from that carved wooden piece behind the groom.

If you look at the red channel you can see the shape better than in color. The angles are different in the reflection but possibly you can use the restored legs to create a reflection if necessary
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Candice

Candice

Shadow

Torture yourself is right. Oh my  :crazy:  Good luck. Look forward to the final.

Mhayes

Lynn, I am impressed! I think anyone working any of these particular wedding photos would do well to look at any other ones in the gallery. You could use them for reference and also borrow parts if the dimensions are close. I even thought of ones with the bride where you flip horizontal to match a similar photo of the bride/groom. I think QC is going to have fun getting all the photos to come close on color.

As to the mirror, looks like a fair silhouette of the bride and the groom is toast. Not sure whether to put more shadows and a blur in.

My 2 cents to add to the confusion.  :)

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

" I think QC is going to have fun getting all the photos to come close on color."

Margie, you hit the nail on the head!  One of the hardest things to do is to have multiple individuals working on wedding picture because of the color variables.

These type of pictures remind me of the batch of school pictures I took on.  I wanted all of them so all the 'yearbook' color would be the same.  Once I did the original correction of color on an adjustment layer and clipped it to the picture, then when I brought in another picture, I duplicated the curves layer onto the new picture.  Probably bass ackwards way but it worked for me.

I have all the confidence that Lynn will make this picture shine!!
Candice

Lynnya

Thanks guys... took a break from the torture and went up to Cedar Key for a couple of days.. I'm about two thirds through my restore  :crazy:

Lynnya

Hopefully getting close...

Jo Ann Snover

Lots of progress!

I realize there's still some detail stuff to be worked on (like edge of the mirror frame; wall behind the bride & groom's heads) but here are the things I noticed:

- The white highlights are very bright. They were in the original too, but as you've darkened the shadows in the restore (I assume to help with the damaged areas) it looks especially stark. Perhaps you can add a curves adjustment layer in multiply blend mode and selectively darken the bride's dress and flower highlights?

- The colors look a tad greenish (very slight) - in getting the red cast removed I think you slid over the line just a little

- The line on the mirror on the right of the picture isn't in the same place as in the original (too close to the left-most line)

- There are two details on the bride's reflection that don't look quite right to me - one is her bouquet and the arm underneath it; the other is the groom's hand on her back isn't visible at all. Her bouquet should go to the edge of the frame and her arm and chest have a shadow on them (cast by the bouquet). Right now it looks a bit like an alien bouquet is leaping out of her dress (if you didn't see that movie, this will sound insane). I think the groom's hand behind her is the sort of thing people will remember, even though it's not front and center in the picture - doesn't have to be detailed or sharp (the original looks pretty murky)

- A few shadow details would help give things shape - such as where the carpet meets the wall on the right; the tile seams in the marble underneath the mirror; the inside edge of the mirror frame.

Hope this helps :)
Jo Ann

Candice

Wow!  Has this come a long way!!  So far. So good.  Silly question, but are you posting with the original size?
Candice