• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Wedding by the sea

Started by Shadow, March 16, 2019, 12:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hi Gang. Couple of questions for you on this one. What do you think about the gold thing on the man's vest - damage? And the lady's outfit - do you think the top and collar are smooth and the sleeves are textured? Appreciate the extra eyes and opinions!  :)

Original

Color corrected and some (not all) cleanup

Damage on the vest?

Original / Added color layer for top - damage or texture where the dark areas are?

Mhayes

Shadow, I will see if I can ask the family. Right off hand I don't think it's damage. If I look at it in the channels, it keeps its image fairly well.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

I think it is damage too.  Yes on the texture in the lady's top.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

Maybe part of a corsage that broke off???
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Jo Ann Snover

The odd-shaped object on the edge of the vest looks like damage to me. Probably something that stuck to the print rather than water damage. On the grass in front of the Dad were two similar patches of schmutz.

The shape doesn't look like any type of ornament or clip; doesn't look like a bug or butterfly that settled on him either :) It is the same on all channels, but that's consistent with something stuck or or ripped off, versus emulsion bleeding

I like what you did to fix the color problems on the woman's jacket - and yes, it's a jacquard fabric, something like this one
Jo Ann

Mhayes

I agree that it is damage, but like Jo Ann I think it is something that got stuck to the photo itself--remove.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Looking good Lyn... I get the urge to crank up the vibrance a bit but the original is pretty colorless as well so....
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Many thanks for the feedback gang!  :wnw:  Here we go. Hopefully haven't missed any of those confounded spots  ;)
To cleanup and preserve the texture of the lady's top, I sampled the color and painted with it on a layer set to Soft Light and filled with 50% gray. Used varying opacity depending on where the dark areas were. (Similar to using white/black and painting on 50% gray layer set to Overlay. Jonas recommended sampling the color on another restore of mine way back when. Thanks Jonas!)  Whatcha' think?
Lynn, added a dupe with increased Vibrancy. Which do all of you prefer?
Thanks gang.

Cleaned up

Increased Vibrance

Jo Ann Snover

I can only see one image - I assume the colors more like the original - and I think it looks good.

The sky is gray and the light muted, so I don't think you can reasonably expect the vibrant colors you'd get on a sunnier day - but possibly I'll change my mind once you can post the other version :)
Jo Ann

Shadow

Thanks Jo Ann. They still show up on my screen as a broken link ... will have to check my security.

Lynnya

Hi Lyn... I can only see one as well.. looks good tho.. Jo Ann is probably right about the vibrancy.. love to see it tho..

Lovely job! :up:

Lynnya

I like the kicked up vibrance myself.. it's subtle but there  :up:

Jo Ann Snover

My vote is still for the "original" tones. The faces look too flushed IMO in the more vibrant version. But I'd let your distributor make the call if you can't choose :)
Jo Ann

Shadow

Mhayes

Shadow, when I downloaded it looked more subtle and fine with me. When I have more time I will download both and compare. Kind of running late on time.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]