• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Black and white with text

Started by Lynnya, February 01, 2019, 04:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi gang.. another black and white..

how does it look to you please..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

I think the blacks are a little too dark - you've lost shadow detail in her face, skirt, the trees... It's good that you brought back highlight detail, so don't take that away :)

The only other thing I noticed was the top and left sides of the image are a bit cropped, so a small amount of the original is lost. Even if that makes the white border irregular widths, I think all the image should be there.

As an aside, I really wish the person who wrote notes hadn't done so on the image, but you've done a fine job of restoring the text :)
Jo Ann

kiska

I thought we were to straighten the photos with borders????
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Thanks Jo Ann and Kiska.. will fix the darks and straighten.. I wanted to straighten it but thought we wern't sposed to..

Lynnya

How is this...

Just in case anyone else struggles with selecting text as I did ... I found an easy way.. take your original image and duplicate it for a copy. As per shadow's advice I then did a curves adjust so the writing really stood out against the background (looked awful). Then go to "select" and "color range" and touch the eye dropper on the blue text.. use the + eye dropper to add more blue if it's faded. Copy and paste the selection onto a transparent new layer in your original work layers. I put a temporary white back ground under it so I can see any "muck" around the lettering for cleanup. Do the same for any other lettering elsewhere on another layer. Discard the white background and turn off the eyeball on your text layers and forget about them. After you've finished your cleanup and added your white border (if there is one) turn on your text layers making sure they are lining up perfectly in place with the old and hey presto.. beautiful writing.
I'm sure everyone must know this but I'm a slow learner.. ::)

Tori803

Thanks Lynnya. The nice thing about the new "ink" is that it's not going to bleed through the paper  :funny:
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Shadow

Thanks, good write up Lynn. Maybe check the layer with text ... seems to be some shading around the text? Is that a statue in the fountain or possibly damage? On my screen it seemed a bit flat. See how this looks on yours.

Lynnya

Thanks Lyn.. will check all :up: Lyn where are you seeing shading around the text.. you know how blind I'm getting?  :funny:

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]