• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Some Questions

Started by philbach, January 25, 2019, 08:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philbach

Well I am a little confused about this one.   I've outlined what I think is part of the love seat.  But maybe in addition to the love seat there is a pillow or something in the bottom right foreground.  I'm unable to figure out what the love seat looks like.   The other question is what to put into the picture.  I can easily fix the frame but what to put into the frame.  An Arizona desert landscape or something else.  Thanks

phil

Hannie

Hi Phil,  it is really hard to tell if there is a pillow, I'm leaning towards no pillow.  Outline seems pretty close.
The painting has no detail left apart from the palm tree or whatever on the left side and some blue sky.
If you want to leave the paining in then I would go for an image that kind of leaves you guessing what the details are like (and blur it some):

or even

Both are Arizona landscape paintings.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

phil

Jo Ann Snover

I think this is possibly the most awkward pose I've ever seen! But I believe that that area is the woman's left leg. If you look at the shapes and creases in the fabric on the blue channel you can see where the knee bends and the fabric drapes. She is twisted so tightly it looks as if she's broken in the middle!

I've drawn the outlines as I see them. The man's left arm is, I think, behind her and stretched out on the sofa back, but I can't see a hand anywhere. Possibly it's tucked downward and is behind a small cushion on the sofa?

See what you think

Jo Ann

philbach

Good Point Jo Ann.  A corollary is if the obvious leg is her left leg, her right leg would need to be under his left leg.  Quite awkward.  Thanks
phil

Jo Ann Snover

I realize it seems crazy, but I think her right leg is over his leg and then comes down between his legs. She's twisted really tightly around at the waist which saves this from being a really X-rated view of her!

I believe her right leg isn't thin, but we're only seeing the side of it - the top isn't visible as it's buried between them and topped by her arm.

The overall look isn't helped by the fact that the shot was taken from a low angle - just above the man's knees from the look of it - so there's distortion that makes them have huge knees and small heads, relatively speaking.
Jo Ann

G3User

Phil

A vote for her right leg extended under his and behind her left leg which is over his. Shouldn't be too hard on the waist or hips.
Not familiar with love seats but if they are curved then it shouldn't be too difficult.
Perhaps what she is wearing is long and very flowing, whatever is below her looks to be a match to leg and top?

Athol

philbach

Well ok then Athol and thanks.  Perhaps I should restore it both ways and then we can have a vote on it.  I googled love seats and did not find one that was similar to the one in the photo. 
phil

philbach

Well perhaps this is what is going on.  The problem is that her left leg does not seem to distort the gentleman's pants leg at all.  This is a rough draft.  Just trying to make sense out of the photo   

phil

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

MatthewsW_20_15_4x6  Is the file name.
phil

kiska

Rough, rough, rough. This is a shadow/highlights layer. Just trying to get some detail. I'm thinking they're on a sofa. Her left leg is sorta straight out?

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

philbach

Thanks Kiska.  That answers the question.  I tried shadows highlights but got nothing as definitive as you did.  By golly I will work on shadows and highlights some before I proceed. 
phil

G3User

The sofa/love seat seems necessary.

How about her left leg is over his, her right leg is straight, under his and you can see her ankle/cuff where circled. Wasn't there a fashion of wearing slacks with a ground length flowing coat of the same material. That would explain the fabric directly below her.

Of course I am speaking from an intimate knowledge of the female fashion industry ::)

philbach

Well Here is what I did with the leg and picture.  Lots of "Poetic License" 

phil