• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Graduation Photo

Started by kimh, January 14, 2019, 04:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimh

Quote from: kiska on January 25, 2019, 05:03:26 AM
Looks to me like she's standing on the curved section.
:

I think your right Kiska
Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

kimh

And I'm back, sorry for the delay, the lower part of the photo with the fountain was pretty badly damaged so I contacted Purdue University who put me in touch with their Senior Photographer. 
He's been waiting for quite a while for some better weather and has just taken a photo of the fountain with the same perspective.

So wip 3 attached, I think the colouring is a bit off but I cant quite put my finger on it.

Thanks
Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Hannie

What a beautiful result Kim!
Only one thing jumps out at me, her left foot should be more sideways pointing towards the camera.
Kind of like what Kiska did, perhaps also with closed shoes? (no straps or skin showing)

Color, in Levels you can bring in the blue slider some towards the left, that will take care of the yellowish cast.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

It's great that Purdue was able to provide you with a photo.

In addition to the comments Hannie made, I think the sharpness of the new Purdue photo should be altered so it's approximately as blurry as the original - otherwise the trees next to the stonework look mismatched. There are also a couple of places where the join between old and new needs work - under the trees where the curved stone just fades and on the upper right curve of the fountain where there is a black edge.

The sharp edges on the woman's trousers need softening too. The fabric isn't straight - there are folds - and the edges need to be blurrier.

I think the woman's left shoe clearly has a strap (looking at the blue channel) even though the right doesn't show it. Getting something with the right perspective - as Hannie explained - is probably more important and doing black shapes is probably easier (and avoids the pixelated skin in the current WIP).

I'd get your distributor's OK, if you didn't already, on dropping the bag her right hand is holding the strap of. The hand you put there looks fine, but just isn't what was in the original.

What a project this turned out to be!
Jo Ann

Candice

You've come a long way on this photo.  The family is going to be very happy when they do get it home.
Candice

Shadow

Wow Kim!! Agree with Candy, the family is going to be very happy. Beautiful  :up:

kimh

Next wip attached for comments please

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Jo Ann Snover

You've made some good progress. The angle of her right foot is looking good, although the toe is rather pointy compared to the other foot. I think more rounded is preferable.

Given a very overcast day, I think the shadows around the foot don't look quite right. You wouldn't have anything dark and directional - like you have on her right foot. Very, very light soft shadows where the feet touch the stone would probably be enough - not that there's no shadow of the young woman's body visible anywhere in the original.

Softening some of the remaining sharp edges (the stone curved edge behind her, for example) and I think you're done! Quite a journey from the original, no?
Jo Ann

kimh

Thanks Jo Ann,

WIP 5 attached

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Jo Ann Snover

See what other feedback you get, but I think that's probably ready to be returned - if you can let her go after all this time :)
Jo Ann

kimh

As there are no further comments Ill send her home, thanks everyone for your help
Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Mhayes

Kim, we will contact the owner and say you do not want to release her.  :cool:   Nice work, the owner will be happy.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]