• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Slow WIP

Started by G3User, January 10, 2019, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

The family Xmas visitors have departed so back to work. Still messing about with her arm, this to get an idea if flipping the other arm might give a useful start and it is nowhere near finished. THere are seams in the undamaged sleeve and I suspect replicating them will help to make the red stripes look more natural.
Comments please
Athol

Jo Ann Snover

Stripes are such a challenge - and folded fabric with stripes is even more so!

Given that you're still in process, I'll just comment on the structural things. If you look at the shoe of the older woman with the blue trousers, the foreground is the sole of the shoe, with a small strip of the black (ish) leather above that. You can see it pretty clearly on the blue channel. I think the shoe curves in a bit more on the left side - the darker area on the left looks like a shadow not like part of the shoe.

The younger stripey woman has lost the arm of her glasses (you can see bits of it on the blue channel). Something looked odd about the face of the woman in a red blouse, and looking at the blue channel I think it's because her hair on the right side comes in towards her face more.

That odd sculpture-like object behind the sofa is a puzzle, as is that braid of stuffed fabric things in red and stripes at left rear. On the left, I wonder if that's some Christmas decoration ready to be boxed up and resting on/in one of those portable cribs?

The red & white striped part of the stuffed braid continues to the edge of the frame after ducking behind a red part - look at the blue channel and you'll see it. Also, you can see that one "strand" of the braid is a patterned red fabric and the other is solid (the third is the red & white stripes). I think there's enough undamaged patterned red to clone from.

You can see the back of the spotted blue sofa behind the two people on the right and again around behind the stripey woman's arm - I think she's leaning against the sofa versus the white background (look at the blue channel and really brighten to see the darker areas)

The only other thing I noticed was that you stole a daisy from a throw pillow in front of the red-blouse woman when you cleaned up some damage! The same type of throw pillow is next to the main in the striped shirt, so I think it's real not damage.

Good luck - I should go back to working on my own restore (commenting on other people's can be a nice break :) )
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Athol and Jo Ann, look at the bright side--it keeps you off the streets. I had to laugh at Jo Ann's last sentence. Sorry to be MIA on the Forum. The only excuse I can think of is that I have started back to work and a round trip of 60 miles each day, and once home I crash. This weekend it is suppose to snow so hope to be more productive and work on some photos. Athol, great to see you back!
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks Jo Ann,

Glad I didn't ask about the striped shirt and really interrupt your day ;)

OK about the shoe and my treatment of the cushions. I had replaced the wing of the glasses but on the wrong layer so it was lost. I had hoped the object on the left was something familiar in the USA but will have a go at it with your advice.

Just hold yourself in readiness for the shirt!

Margie, last year was the third hottest year on Australian records, we are in drought and a major river has just dried up killing large quantities of fish. We would appreciate a large shipment of snow. OK about work, hope you are not on the Govt payroll.

Cheers

Athol

Lynnya

Which River Athol? we lived in Wollongong for a few years and know Sydney quite well..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

G3User

Sound like I should be treating you like a local Lynnya.  :up:

It is the Murry-Darling system and the Darling particularly. The basin covers the bottom of Queensland, the west of New South Wales. part of Victoria and empties into the ocean in South Australia. The kill occurred near Menindee, , an alge bloom in stagnant water.
There is a significant amount of cotton grown using river water for irrigation and it is allocated by a quota system. That works when we have reasonable rainfall but the river basin has been getting low rainfall for the last few years so there is going to be lots of blaming going on.

Athol

Mhayes

Athol, that is terrible about your river. I know that Australia has had some major fires and whether those want to deny climate change--things are getting worse. I wouldn't wish for a drought, but would be glad to give you the snow. Lucked out her with a dusting, but Western Kansas got about 9 in. Luckily I'm on the State's payroll and not the Feds.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Athol, that sounds like a national disaster, so sad!  The cotton industry shouldn't have a monopoly on you water supply.

In your restore one little thing jumped out, the lady's right cheek has lost some shading and looks a little flat?

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Thanks Hannie,

I haven't modified her face apart from the initial colour/levels adjustment but had in mind to tweak the local contrast when I get to that point, if ever. :-\

I believe we are the second driest continent after Antarctica so climate change is an issue.

Hope you are keeping well.

Cheers

Athol

G3User

The dog is nagging for a walk so thought I should post now while I am feeling brave. My wife suggested getting the owner details so we can send them a Xmas Card, she feels they have become family members :'(

Still very rough. There is a major fold in her lower sleeve and the shoulder insert has a bulge in it. I still; have to work on those and shading. I have roughed a guide for the outline of the insert on her shoulder but not sure about the shape. I end up with one extra band on her sleeve compared with the undamaged one.

Hints, comments and thoughts appreciated.

Athol

Mhayes

Athol, at first I thought you meant that you should send the owner of the photo a Xmas card. Obviously I'm not tracking like I should.  :funny: Is your dog the same breed as the last one.

Progress looking good.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

G3User

Glad you got it Margie, my wife was being a bit sarcastic having seen the image for so long. We wont talk about your slow response

Her name is Maisy, she is a 2yo cavoodle and replaced a 14yo cocker spaniel. This from her surfing holiday last year and she is ready to go again in March

I know, BACK TO WORK :knuppel:

Shadow

Looking good so far Athol. Love Miss Maisy on the beach!

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

Athol, your wife had a great sense of humor at your expense. I love your photo of Maisy. You take really great pictures and like the one long ago of the other dog at the beach with you kicking up sand.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]