• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Say cheese

Started by Shadow, January 08, 2019, 03:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hi Gang. Just starting on a new one and thought I'd better see if I'm on the right track. Did a Curves layer adj and the frame. Thinking there's a blue cast to most of the bkgd. Heading in the right direction or still under the influence of all that sugar over the holidays?  ::)

Jo Ann Snover

Sometimes I mask (with a very pale gray) parts of the background when the color that looks good on the subject looks a little too blue on the background. The other thing I wonder is if the women's dresses are more ivory background than white - the small veil the bride (I assume) is wearing appears whiter than her dress

It's a new theory to me that too much sugar alters color vision, but I'm prepared to sacrifice myself for science and give it a try :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Hi Lyn.. is it just me or does that head gear just not look right.. she IS a bride right? I'ts almost as it it's not s'posed to be there and Jo Ann is right.. it's way whiter than the dress.. hmmmmm  no help from this end is there... :crazy:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Lynnya on January 09, 2019, 12:56:22 PM
.. is it just me or does that head gear just not look right.. she IS a bride right?

If it isn't a fascinator/veil, could it be a mirror (reflecting the flash) or light on the bookcase/dresser in the background? If it's on the woman's head, it's at the back - lots of hair visible in front. Are there any other pictures of these two from the family that might clear up what the woman on the right of the photo is wearing?
Jo Ann

Lynnya

I agree Jo Ann.. also I really don't see a veil... lots of strange damage but no veil..

Shadow

Here are the reference shots. They are screenshots of pics in the gallery and I added an Auto Curves to each one.
Hope your science sacrifice has been delicious Jo Ann  ;)

Jo Ann Snover

A scientist's work is never done - so I plan on making this a long-term project (including chocolate :) )

Back to business! That's definitely a very small item of bridal headwear - possibly a fabric flowery-thing in the center with the two sprays of netting on either side? I saw a very small fascinator described as a "percher" - I think this bride was just ahead of her time in the fashion...

But light tones in the men's shirts, background of the patterned dress and the bride's dress all look about the same brightness, so I think they're white, but just not as nuclear white as the headpiece.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Glad you got a ref shot Lyn.. so it IS a bridal hat ... good to know..look forward to your final.. :up:

Shadow

Hi Gang. Here's the current WIP. Suggestions to make this better? Really appreciate the extra eyes!

Jo Ann Snover

You've done a great job on these two. The only things I'd suggest adjusting slightly are the brightness of the foreground items (the women's clothes and the brighter parts of their faces) and their smiles, which don't look quite like the original

Here is a 200% crop of your latest WIP and my quick edits on it to adjust

I think both women's lips are a little fuller than your WIP. In the orignal, there's lots of damage, but when I flipped the layers on and off, I saw more of a smile on the bride - upper lip higher at the corners than your WIP and more shadow under the cheeks. Her friends lips just looked fuller all around that you had them.

On the bride, you cut off a part of her sleeve in the center of the photo. The sleeves were the kind gathered into the armhole - you can see in the original.

Both women seemed to have lost a little of their upper eyelashes, so I cloned them to look more like what I saw in the original.

I did use a curves adjustment layer set to multiply blend mode to darken the dresses and highlights of the women's faces (I left the neck shadows as is)

I did draw outlines over the original to guide me, but the best assist in adjusting the smiles was flipping back and forth with the original which "animates" the differences  to show where more work is needed.

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

Shadow