• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Collar question

Started by Lynnya, December 31, 2018, 11:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

High all.. Happy New Year!!

Maybe Candy or Jo Anne can answer this ... I can't figure out what's going on with this collar.. is it some kind of uniform? or is he holding something.. I think I've figured that it's damage...Blue channel below..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Candice

Best guess.... it's a bow tie.
Candice

Jo Ann Snover

The pose is one of those "standard" ones for studio shots - chin on hand - so I don't think he's hiding anything. If you look at options for bow ties, they can get very large, so it could be you're seeing half of a large dark bow tie.

Where his thumb is, you'd expect to see something of the center of the bow and the narrowing of the tie into the knot. I don't see that, which is puzzling, but even so, I think bow tie is the most likely answer.

I looked to see if there was any type of neckwear that I'd missed - found nothing, but this was an interesting article on the history of men's scarves, cravats, ties and bow ties :)

https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/evolution-neckwear-tie-cravat-scarf/
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks Candy and Jo Ann - I'll go with the bow tie for now and see if Margie can shed any light when she wakes up from her New Years Eve Party  :funny:

Looking at it more closely.. it looks like his top shirt button is undone.. so he wouldn't have a bow tie right? I wonder if it's just a dark sweater or a graduation gown.. hmmm...I'm stumped..

Lynnya

Hi gang ... this is where I'm at so far.. comments welcome..

Jo Ann Snover

Two big things stand out for me - the ends of his fingers aren't connected to the bases correctly, and the shirt collar and "melted" button look a little strange.

For the hands, look at this stock image that's somewhat similar to see how the curled over pinkie (and other fingers) should attach

On the shirt collar, those are typically stiffened, even if there are no collar stays, and would have straight edges. I think you can see the edge of the collar in the original, angled out to the side under the bow tie. The shirt front probably would have straighter edges and the button would definitely be circular (even with perspective, it wouldn't be an irregular shape).

Couple of smaller things. The highlights on his face look a little bright, but I don't know if they were blown in the original. If it's possible to tone them down a tad it'd be good. The color on the fingers doesn't match the hand - a bit too ice-cream pink :). Overall color looks a hair too red to me.

Other than that, looks good!

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks Jo Ann.. all good info.. will work on that today and see what I can do to improve it..

Shadow

Looks good Lynn. The suggestions will put it over the top.

Lynnya

Thanks Shadow.. so glad to see my little friends face again on your avatar... :loveit:
struggling on with this one... ahhhhhhhhh

Jo Ann Snover

Fingers look a ton better; face looks more evenly lit (there's a little bit of background bleeding into his face on the left side just below where hair meets cheek).  Red cast is dealt with.

The shirt collar and the placket don't line up or meet - look at this picture to see how the shirt is typically constructed.

I also think the bow tie should cover more of the shirt at the center - it ties so there's a part going under the collar, so it couldn't sit as you've shown it. This isn't the same angle, but I think it gives an idea

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yes it does.. thanks so much Jo Ann.... back at it.. :cool:

Lynnya

Floundering.. may need some of your outlines Jo Ann...

Jo Ann Snover

I started to do outlines, but thought that a quick cloning job - albeit on the small sized WIP - might be more clear. See if this helps at all:

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Oh thank you.... this collar has been driving me nuts... :crazy:

I fixed the shirt and sent him flying home.. thanks for all your help Jo Ann..

Shadow

Wonderful restore Lynn!  :up: