• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pretty in pink

Started by kimh, December 19, 2018, 05:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimh

Hi all,
I'm having problems with the sleeves and shadows on this one.
I copied the shadows from the blue channel and matched the colour of the shadows from the original, but it just looks wrong and I'm not sure where to from here.
Can anyone offer some suggestions please.

Thanks in advance,
Kim

Original

WIP1

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Shadow

Hi Kim. Looking good. One thing you might try ... sample the pink of the dress. Make a new Color Mode Layer. Paint over the shadows that have gone red. You can lower the opacity of the layer as needed. Here's a quick sample.

Jo Ann Snover

It looks wrong because the sleeves have fabric off to either side that isn't gathered into the band. Look at these pictures - on left, not exactly right as it doesn't have the wide fabric band, but gives you an idea of how these sleeves are made. On the right, it's a shorter sleeve but the band is more like the one in the damaged photo.

All the gathers are sewn into the flat band. You can only see the edge of the band on the inside of the sleeve on the right side of the photo, but it's enough to show you the angle to extend down into the damaged area ( it shouldn't be parallel to the frame as you have shown it but angled down more as it goes to the frame edge.

Jo Ann

kimh

Quote from: Shadow on December 19, 2018, 11:34:42 AM
Hi Kim. Looking good. One thing you might try ....
Wow that's a great improvement, I'll give it a try

Kim
Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

kimh

Quote from: Jo Ann Snover on December 19, 2018, 11:41:38 AM
It looks wrong because the sleeves have fabric off to either side that isn't gathered into the band.
Thanks Jo Ann, I'll give that a go

Kim
Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

kimh

Couple more questions,

This image is of the blue channel, what is the dark area,
Would the shape of the sleeve be as I've marked?

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Jo Ann Snover

I think the dark area is damage, but take a look at this to see what I'm fairly sure is the way the sleeves and armholes are.

I just painted in the shapes over your WIP after drawing outlines on the blue channel of the original, so you get the idea of what it should look like, but my version has no fabric or ribbon texture. The bodice and the sleeves are very full, so there is no background visible between her arms and her torso - just dark pink fabric in shadow.

See what you think
Jo Ann

kimh

Merry Christmas everyone.
WIP2 attached for you to look over and comments please.

Thanks
Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Candice

Ran one more auto color correct on the young lady, which lifted the color a bit more and I am pretty sure there was a white border around the picture.  Past that.... lovely!

Candice

Mhayes

Kim, nice job! Candice, this probably did have a white border, but since it doesn't show in the original I wouldn't add and here is why. The photo's dimensions are 3.5 x 5 and when we go to have it printed it will be on the closest standard print size and that would be a 4 x 6. That will automatically give the photo a white border. On some photos where the border is still visible, we will keep so that it will help when color correcting.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kimh

ok, thanks, I'll submit and see how it goes.

Kim
Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Candice

:up:  Works for me, Margie.  Now I know more of how the printing works.
Candice