• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Mum & bub

Started by kimh, November 14, 2018, 03:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kimh

Wip, comments please.
Could I have some suggestions please on how to fix the back of mums sleeve, it looks wrong

Thanks
Kim

Original

Wip1

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

kiska

I don't have Affinity but I noticed the skin tones are very yellow and green. And the repair edges are sharper than the original.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Jo Ann Snover

In addition to the colors being wrong as noted above, I think drawing outlines over the original to get the shape of the folded sleeve and shadows would help. Take a look at this which I think helps to explain:

When you restore damaged areas that had shadows, it's important to restore the shading so you don't get a flat, 2D and slightly artificial look. 

If you brighten a dull image, you need to preserve tones in the whites. There's a bunch of ways to do that, but I prefer to use an adjustment layer to darken just the too-bright areas and let the main adjustment area for the overall image set the overall brightness. I also think it's easier to do color separately (I use a curves adjustment layer but again, there's many approaches).

I think there are a couple of objects under the pillow behind the mother's arm. Could be controls for buttons to summon the nurse. You could leave those out, but that's what the sleeve is folded around, so you may need to see if the sleeve looks OK folded without those objects.

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

Candice

Welcome, Kihm.  It's been mentioned that there might be some things behind the mother's arm.  Might I suggest that if you think there are those things, to ask your distributor for advice as to whether leave them out or not.  It's not up to us in the forum to have that say. 

I concur with Kiska on the skin tones and Joann on the shape of the mother's sleeve.
Candice

kimh

WIP2

Updated image, what do you think?
(I'll check with Margie about whether there are things under the pillow, she may see this post if she's well enough. )

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Mike S.

Kim,

As mentioned by Kiska, Jo Ann and Candice your skin tones are too yellow.  Look at Jo Ann's example on the far right to see what the results should be.

Mike
Mike S.

kiska

This is a color balance adjustment layer. It needs a little tweaking. I don't know the Affinity equivalent.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

kimh

Quote from: kiska on November 15, 2018, 08:24:38 AM
This is a color balance adjustment layer. It needs a little tweaking. I don't know the Affinity equivalent.
Yes it's the same in Affinity, the original was yellow, first go I went too heavy on the adjustment and made it too blue, then backed it of too far and made it yellow again, hopefully next time will be just right, haha

Anything else apart from the colour?

Kim
Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: kimh on November 15, 2018, 10:58:24 AM
...Anything else apart from the colour?

The whites are still very bright, but perhaps you were including that in the color? The only other thing is the shadows inside the restored sleeve and the edge of the sleeve.

It looks as if you've made dark blue piping on the sleeve edge - it shouldn't have a different color. But there should be a dark shadow inside it - reference the original for the shape and tone.

One more very small thing - there is an object of some type on the wall on the right side next to the bed. In the original, there's a reflection from the rounded top of the object giving it shape. You've squared the flat shape to the edge of the photo which has changed the perspective and without the lighter reflection, it looks flat on the wall.

If you change the perspective so the wall object's top edge is parallel to the top of the nightstand, it'll look like it fits in better. But the damage was only on the very right edge so you perhaps you can leave most of the object as is in the original.
Jo Ann

Candice

Kim, you'll make it.  We all started somewhere.  Just keep putting one step in front of the other. Looking forward to seeing your next post.
Candice

Shadow

Hi Kim, it's coming along. You have some good tips to guide you. Look forward to your next post. Good luck!

kimh

wip3 for comments please.

Thanks
Kim

Kim Heaver
uses Affinity Photo

Mhayes

Kim, I'm good with it and when I download the skin tone looks better than it does on the screen. I have no idea of what is under mother's sleeve and really not that important.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh