• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Two Boys

Started by Lynnya, November 03, 2018, 12:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Slogging away at this one.. need eyes please..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

A couple of suggestions - and some examples

I think the color is too cold. This is an image taken outside in sunlight, so making the whites literally white produces a rather blue result. Take a look at my version on the right - it removes some of the yellow from the original but not all.

The other thing is that the highlights get very blown in trying to brighten up the image, so a curves adjustment layer set to multiply blending mode brought back some of the detail in the taller boy's shirt and sleeves.

The image wouldn't be darker at the bottom - this was shot in bright sun and I can't see any evidence next to the damage of anything casting overall shadows. I lightened up your WIP a tad, but just don't vignette the bottom at all.

If you look at the hand on the taller boy that you've reconstructed, I don't think the middle finger could be as long as you've shown it. I mocked up something I think looks anatomically possible and included bits of a couple of stock photos for reference.

And on the fence post, that bright section at the bottom isn't damage; it's a blown highlight. So I've shown what I think a reconstruction should look like

The only other thing I noticed is that the lower caption on the younger boy's T shirt is no longer horizontal on your WIP - it tilts up to the left.

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks so much Jo Ann.. good suggestions all.. I'll follow up and repost here..

Lynnya

how is this coming...

Shadow

Hey girl, you're beyond my abilities ... good luck!!

Jo Ann Snover

I think it's looking very good.

I hadn't noticed it before, but there's a line in the sky behind the younger boy - most noticeably on the left - that needs the two colors blended a bit.

I think the older boy's hand looks great now. On the bandaged hand, the shadow on the bandage is light. Look at how hard and dark the shadows elsewhere in the image are; if you increase the contrast on that bandaged area to lighten the bandage and darken the shadows it'll match better. Could probably do something similar to the repaired jeans areas too. Bright sunlight doesn't result in subtle shadows :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks Jo Ann.. you are a gem... I'm excited about the improvements to this image thanks to you..storing all this info in the back on my brain..back with a wip later.

Lynnya

How's this.. what else needs attention...

Shadow

Wowzir!You took Jo Ann's tips and went to town.  ;)   Maybe darken or increase the contrast on the bandaged hand shadow area? Not sure how to say it. Did that makes any sense?

Lynnya

Yes it does.. thanks Lyn  :up:

Lynnya

how's this... too much? not enough??

Shadow

Maybe a wee bit more?

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Shadow on November 04, 2018, 11:40:56 AM
Maybe a wee bit more?

yes - be ruthless with those shadows!!
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Geez you guys are shadow police  :funny: Back to the board to attack the shadows...

Lynnya