• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Image in a frame?

Started by G3User, October 25, 2018, 01:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G3User

Hi All,

This is one of two images, boyh appear to have been in a frame that cast shadows when copied. The bottom edge of both seems to be in focus but the top isn't nor is the Childeren's Miracle logo. It looks to be a self adhesive thing with some thickness and is also out of focus.

I have done the first pass colour correction, removed much of the noise and the shadows. I replaced the face detail from the red channel. I haven't had any success trying to recover the autograph on the jacket, particularly the last few letters of the surname. Any ideas?

I found a copy of the logo on line which I could use for a repair if that is OK. Unfortunately the text at the bottom is different from the original so I would need to replace it. The original looks like ****  **** of the Lake Foundation. Any thoughts please.

Edit. Just realized that is Our Lady of the Lake Foundation on the tag, I was searching all the Lake foundations I could find. :huh:

Cheers
Athol

Hannie

Hi Athol, great job so far!
Not sure about replacing the logo, you mean the one on the shirt?
The signature, I think looks fine as it is.
Not much help, am I?   ;)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

G3User

Good Morning Hannie,

May I suggest another strong coffee ;)

The logo is bottom left for the Children's Miracle Foundation. I suspect that it is important but not really legible. I can reconstruct it with some blurring so it shouldn't look out of place, particularly now I know what all the text is.

Thanks

Athol.

Shadow

Hi Athol, wouldn't worry too much about the Children's Miracle Network logo bottom left. The family will be most concerned about the little boy in front. Good luck.

Jo Ann Snover

There is some unexpected brightness on the mouths and noses of several of the people - the three men and the boy holding the Tigers shirt. Not sure if that's a result of using the red channel for repair, but those areas shouldn't be brighter than the rest of the face.

The crowd on the right that you lightened the shadow on perhaps could be a little less bright - it's brighter than the part of the crowd that wasn't altered.

The colors look a little yellow to me. Take a look at this version of your WIP

Jo Ann

Candice

There's also a red fringing effect in several areas.  You've brought it out of the yellow stage and it's looking good!!
Candice

G3User

Thanks for the input, i think I have used all of it.

The image was one of three from the same occasion so I took them all in an attempt to get consistent colour. A large post so comments on individual images or of the set appreciated.

Athol

Jo Ann Snover

I think the two dugout pictures are as good as they're going to get (given how blurry they became). Consistent color is a great goal as long as the images are taken in the same light and setting. The third image out on the field looks too pale, pinkish and magenta-ish to me. As it's in different light when taken, you won't necessarily be looking for identical colors in Photoshop to get the image to look right.

Take a look at this version (I started with the original and applied a curves adjustment layer) which has skin tones, grass color looking better. I added a second curves adjustment layer masked to just the distant stands and sky as their color looked different (probably a mixed lighting situation?)

Jo Ann

G3User

Thanks Jo Ann,

I used the sun lit part of the boys shirt and the hue of his skin and the yellow shirt as a guide for comparing images. I agree about the brightness, I should have paid more attention to the softness of the shadows which suggest the sun wasn't too harsh that day. OK about the grass and background, I will have a look.

I will await further input.

Athol