• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Reynolds Photo

Started by Alvo, October 17, 2018, 04:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alvo

I don't think I can go any further with this one without more eyes on it. Mine are still seeing red and pink..

Alvin Herron

Alvo

I can see here the right arm is to light. I went back and matched colors with the left arm and it look better.
Alvin Herron

Shadow

Hi Alvin. The color on this one is a bit tricky. Used the Threshold layer to find the white and black points. Tried an Auto Levels and Auto Curves and came up close to where you are so I went back with the Curves layer and set the values as shown - 244/244/244 for the white point and 15/15/15 for the black point. Thinking the background is probably closer to this color. Hopefully, the color gurus will weigh in. Good luck!

Alvo

You are probably right. I am the first to admit I am not good with colors. I did a couple of white balances and kept coming up with blue even on the dress. I selected the dress by itself and did a white balance and got the white on the dress. Not sure what you mean by Threshold, I thought you meant blending mode but I went back and looked and there is not one. Please explain to me what Threshold you used. Thank you.
Alvin Herron

Alvo

Oh, I see it is an adjustment layer, working on it thanks.
Alvin Herron

Shadow

Hi Alvin, here's a quick video to show you how to use the Threshold layer to find your black and white points. When you have an image with a frame (that will usually be 255/255/255 when corrected), it is best to choose a white point from an area inside of the frame instead. Another thing to watch for is that the white point is not damage.

https://petapixel.com/2012/03/06/how-to-quickly-find-and-select-black-and-white-points-in-photoshop/

Jo Ann Snover

I'll give you my take on the color for this, bearing in mind that I'm guessing this is a very young baby whose skin is still a bit red and blotchy. If you look at the red channel, it's way, way too light. I started out using a channel mixer adjustment layer to see if that would make for an easier path to fixing this, but decided on something else. Here's a visual to explain:

The order of the layers does matter, but obviously there's no one right way to do this - just be aware that if you move things around in the layer order you may get some wonky results. The basic approach was to use a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer to drastically cut the red saturation and very slightly nudge it to yellow. Then, use a curves adjustment layer to get a gray point. The problem with trying to go for a white point is that not all images have one (and the white border doesn't count). I picked a gray point in the shadows of that bib thing and then set a white and black point by hand.

The rest of the cleanup was just rough to give an idea - that you can remove magenta, remove blue, recolor the pale blue background using a solid color adjustment layer set to Color (or Hue) blend mode (try both and see which one gives the best results).

So I think the background of that cartoon animal thing is pale blue - and you can see the bear's bib has a white part, so I think that makes sense.

Don't do anything weird to the baby's hair to darken it - when you tone down the whites, it looks right as is.
Jo Ann

Alvo

Thanks, I see what you mean in the Red Channel. I have never used channels before so I will need to get in the habit of looking at them. Well, I have the background just about complete in the grey shadow recommended, I will scratch that and go with a pale blue> I know what I did wrong, I use a layer filled with 50% gray with a difference blend mode to find my grey point. I went that way to find my black point, just wasn't thinking I guess. I have my layers all screwed around now trying to use the background layer to color balance with. Will do my best to do what you recommended, Thanks.

Alvin
Alvin Herron

Alvo

Best as I can tell this looks more like yours. The red channel is still light but not like before so some of the red is out.

Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

That's getting there, but still looks a bit pale but oversaturated in the reds. Look around he nostrils - the shadows are glowing :)

The hair has some darkening that doesn't look right - if you added with an adjustment layer of some type, lower the opacity a lot. You can see the baby's scalp because he has so little hair.
Jo Ann

Alvo

Will do, be back later, Thanks
Alvin Herron

Alvo

OK, I can see his head now, pulled the reds down in the shadows a bit.

Alvin Herron

Jo Ann Snover

So that looks more like your first try with a very dark blue background but more saturated in the reds than "First Try". Perhaps take a break and then come back and have another look.

So far your 2nd try is the closest...
Jo Ann

Alvo

OOPS, I uploaded he wrong photo, be right back
Alvin Herron

Alvo

Sorry, wrong photo. I noticed the guy riding the elephant was missing his head so I put that in. It is a slight difference to the hair, not as much as I thought in PS, but I took some red out of the shadows

Alvin
Alvin Herron