• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Beautiful Bride

Started by BBeesley, October 16, 2018, 05:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBeesley

Why is the the most damage always done to the faces? Beginning to see some progress on these two. Haven't done anything
to the background yet. Comments and help please.
Still a newby

BBeesley :-\

Lynnya

Hi BBeesley.. boy you've picked a goodun here lol.... Others will help more but to me the bride's face has lost a lot of detail and looks rather flat and "unreal".. In the blue channel there is a little more detail but not a whole lot. I would be inclined to try and repair as much damage as you can on a healing pixel by pixel and maybe use her right eye (looking at the screen) to flip it to the other side..
I'm sure there will be more help available so hang in there... good luck and look forward to seeing your final..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

This one is a ton of work!

I think that there is no way around lots of cloning and healing to reconstruct the bride's and Dad's faces - fudging the other background elements a bit will not be noticed as much. Take a look at some suggestions I made by doing just a little bit of cloning and healing using some existing skin, one eye, etc to reconstruct parts of the faces. It isn't complete but I think it shows the difference in approach and that you can get closer to the important parts of the original

Using the skin on the bride's chest, for example, will give you a lot to work with in patching up her face. Making sure the right shadows get added after you're done will also help give the face it's shape and depth. It's sort of painting but using as much of the original as possible. I copied the visible eye (on a new layer) and then flipped, skewed and sized it until I thought it looked pretty close to the damaged one.

See what you think
Jo Ann

Shadow

You are mighty brave. Good luck! Look forward to seeing your final.

BBeesley

Worked on faces some more. Somewhat happier with bride now. Comments?
Bob

Jo Ann Snover

Forgive the directness, but I don't see more life in the bride's face.

If you put your earlier upload and this one into layers and turn the new one on and off, you can see minor changes in the bride's face, but I couldn't see any difference in the father.

Jo Ann

BBeesley

No forgiveness needed. Without frank and truthful input we as new won't grow and improve. I think I may back off
near the beginning ( I now have quite a few layers) and come at this with more of a fresh  start. Faces was really not intended I had done most work on the bride.
Bob

BBeesley

Jo Ann and all eyes, started over and worked on both faces. Comments please.

Jo Ann Snover

Did you upload your earlier work by mistake? This looks identical when put on top of the previous version in Photoshop...
Jo Ann

BBeesley

Ever have a day when everything goes wrong. I do and am
Here is a new one

Shadow

Yep. Have those days myself  ::)  This is a quickie ... maybe the man's nose mouth area is a bit more like this?  Good luck!

BBeesley

More work done on this. Hope I'm gaining on it

Jo Ann Snover

I think the image is better, but there are still a couple of basics in the restore that need a tweak, particularly in the faces. I know there's a ton of damage here, but see if this technique of drawing outlines over the original helps - you can then turn the outline layer on over your restoration to see if you're off a bit or on track.

I made a list of things I found noticeable in the differences between your restore and the original - particularly nose shape, mouth shape and the bride's jaw line. In addition to the outline layer, I like to flip back and forth between the restore and the original as when you see things shift as you flip, it highlights places that need work. You can Option (Alt) click on the background layer to turn off all other layers but that, and then repeat to turn back on whatever you previously had on. Or you can use layer comps if you like that better (I'm assuming you're using Photoshop).

The reason I think there's no veil behind the bride on the Dad's side is that she has her veil wrapped around her arm on the other side, so I think you just have that one lock of hair over her shoulder.

To help see some of the details (when drawing outlines or to find what's hard to see in the original) I add a Curves Adjustment layer set to multiply blend mode above the image layers. Everything gets dark (but won't affect your cloning as long as you're using "Current & Below" for your clone or healing brush) but that helps to figure out things like the Dad's bow tie edges

As you can see the outline layer isn't a thing of beauty, but just keep the brush small so you can see where you're off clearly.

Hope this helps
Jo Ann

Mhayes

Thanks Jo Ann for your tutorial that shows what you are explaining. Love the Forum for that reason.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Marydh

Jo Ann, I love it when you give tips, particularly with pics.  I always learn something.
Shadow, I think your image of the man's nose/mouth area is dead on.  I definitely see teeth.
Margie, you are so right about the forum.  I have learned so much since jumping back in to OPR.  I don't think there is anywhere else with better information on restoration on the entire Internet.