• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Having a Picnic

Started by coopmj, October 11, 2018, 01:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coopmj

Hi Everyone,

Although it didn't look too difficult in the gallery, this one was definitely NOT a picnic for me, (stripes, checks and trees, oh my!  ;D) and I'd appreciate any suggestions to make it better.  Have at it!

Thanks!  Mary

Original

WIP

Lynnya

Hi Mary.. you've done wonders with this one :up: I think if it was me.. I I'm quite often off track I would add a multiply layer, reduce the opacity til you like it and then mask out some stripes in his hair and blur that.. also I think he's sitting on a blanket.. you could grab a similar color blanket and layer it on top of yours and go to soft light blend mode and it would give it some "blanket texture" ... mask out where you don't want it..
I'ts looking real good but to me it's a little pale and "painted".. not an easy one for sure.. you did wonderfully with the stripes.. :up: oh and maybe add a little noise?
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

coopmj

Thanks, Lynnya, I'll try these tips!

I actually thought the tree and water etc. behind him were one of those portrait backdrops and as such, should be a little paler or painted. At least it looked that way to me in the original. And he's sitting on a green blanket, (which, you're right, could use some more texture).  Am I totally off base? Obviously, the child though, should not look painted! ;D

Jo Ann Snover

I was a little puzzled to see the Osh Kosh logo on the dungarees, and then looked a little more closely at the original vs. the restore. It looks as if you found a photo of some similar dungarees and used that versus fixing the damage on the photo. The button on the right side is missing for example.

There are other changes in the restore that I don't think will fly - they're very nice, but they're not the original image - for example, the boy's hair is straight versus curly and it's tack sharp (which the photo isn't even if you ignore the damage).

I realize it's a massive pain to do, but you can clone out the damage on the striped overalls. I did just a little section to show what I mean.  Perhaps your distributor is OK with differences from the original, but probably you should ask.

If the distributor OKs replacing the clothes, perhaps get rid of the Osh Kosh logo and fix the wrong angle of the stripes where there's a big fold on the right side of the little boy's leg, next to the red checkered cloth.

It's definitely a tough image - sorry if this sounds negative.
Jo Ann

coopmj

Thanks Jo Ann, I'm happy to take out the logo although it looked like there was a little bit of logo on the original.  I guess it was just damage.  I'll try and fix the stripes and hair too, although your skills are far superior to mine and it won't come out looking nearly as good.  I'll give it a go, though.

Shadow

Getting there. Lynn and Jo Ann's tips will help a lot. You might also want to lay the original over your wip and eliminate the added light colored leaves added to the front of the tree trunk. For me, they seem to draw the eye up and over from the cutie on the blanket. Good luck!

coopmj

Good morning!  Here's round two for your viewing pleasure.  I think I incorporated everyone's wonderful suggestions.  Please let me know what else needs correcting.  Thanks!!  Mary

Lynnya

Mary looking really good.. what do you think about maybe a little shadow under and up a little on his left leg looking at the screen.. also I added another mulitply layer just for the area around his eyes and mouth to give it a little shadow and darken his features a tad.. other than that it looks great!!

Jo Ann Snover

I think some pictures may help explain some of what I'm saying, so let's start with those

I wrote before seeing Lynn's post, but you'll see I think there's a problem of things "floating" because nothing is casting a shadow. I put a few simple shadows on your most recent restore to give an idea.

The bigger problem is that there are things that aren't in the right places compared to the original, and a few important things missing - like the rope being tied to the tree branch above the tire swing.

Something I like to do is outlines over the damaged original to get an idea of where everything should be and then you can turn that layer on over a work in progress to see if you're in the right spot.

So the picnic basket goes too far back; the bottom of the tire swing got enlarged on the left a bit so it doesn't visually match up with the top part; the reflection of the trees in the water isn't deep enough on the left, so it looks disjointed compared to the right; the river bank isn't as in the original, and so on.

I put the outlines over the original and over your restore to show the areas that don't match.

I think the hair looks much better with some waves in it :)

Is that clear? If not, I can try and explain more (or better!)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Hi Mary.. don't give up.. you've got this  :up: :up: :up:

coopmj

Haha, thanks Lynn and Jo Ann! This is clearly one of those "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" situations but it's touch and go as to which way I'm headed...

I have added shadows (at one point they were there but then got lost amongst my 100+ layers) :) I'll make these additional corrections too and I will also send it to Jonas to get his suggestions.

Thanks again, Mary

Jo Ann Snover

What it probably means is that anything in the future with stripes or a tire swing will have you breaking out in hives and picking a different image :)

I vote for the "makes you stronger" option!
Jo Ann

Shadow

You go Mary!!  ;)  Nice work.  :up: