• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need Help buying a laptop

Started by Lynnya, October 09, 2018, 09:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi gang.. I have to buy a laptop for travelling.  I've been lumping my big desktop around and it's just getting too silly in a 25ft travel trailer.. we thought of buying a bigger trailer and then the light bulb went off.. get a laptop..duh... :cool:
It needs to run photoshop cc and have lots of storage and ability to work with huge files and a wonderful graphics card. A great screen would be good too although I can always plug in my monitor.... Any tech help would be greatly appreciated as I start on my research for one.
Thanks
Lynn
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mike S.

Lynna,

If you are running Windows (your current software) then look for something as a minimum with an i7 Intel Processor in the range of 2.6 to 2.9 MHz.  The higher the speed the more expensive.  Intel now has i8 chips but are very pricey.   I would also recommend you get 16 Gigabytes of Ram Memory to hold those large files while working on them.  The size of the screen is up to you  Pat & I both have 17" Laptops with a larger monitor also attached.  We have ASUS Laptops with Intel i7-6700HQ CPU @2.6GHz Bought a couple of years ago for $995. each and are considered Gaming Machines because of the power back then.  They do a good job for us.

Another thing to consider is a laptop that has both a solid state drive and regular hard drive.  Our laptops  have 128GB Solid State Drives with a regular 1 Terrabyte hard drive.  The solid state drive is drive C and every thing loads  very fast.  Solid state drives come in sizes up to 512GB (those that show 1TB are normally (2) 512GB solid state drives).

If your software is for a Mac then you will have to look at the Mac's available and they have been using the Intel Processors so the same info above applies.

Hope this helps,

Mike

P.S.  We bought ours through TigerDirect.com
Mike S.

Lynnya

Oh Mike thank you.. yes that does help.  I have solid state now in my big desktop and I do carry a bigger monitor when on the road.. I was hoping to get away with using the laptop monitor/screen but that's probably not going to happen. I'm looking for a pc and willing to pay a pretty good price for it.. (it's cheaper than buying a new travel trailer).. your info gives me a great starting point.
Thanks
Lynn

Shadow

Lynn, Mike tips are spot on. If you will be a heavy battery user, I recommend you check what is required to change the battery. Love my Alienware by Dell but to replace the battery requires completely taking the thing apart. Literally!

Lynnya

Thanks Lyn.. contacted whiz kid son who also recommended Dell Alienware..I basically never use the battery.. almost always plugged in.. which one do you have?

Shadow

Mine is a few years old. Alienware 15" 2.9 GHz 16Gb Ram and Nvidia GeForce.  Screen is excellent but do have an external that I also use. You can check them out here:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/alienware-15/spd/alienware-15-laptop/dkcwcflf022

Jo Ann Snover

I'm a big fan of working on a "docked" laptop. I can't imagine going back to a big desktop setup unless my work changed radically.

I use a MacBook Pro (although my next one may well be a PC, but that's another story) with two external monitors and a large RAID when I'm at my desk. When I am away, I take just the laptop and a small  (1 Tb) external USB drive. There is an internal SSD which has software and things that need speed on it (Lightroom and Capture One catalogs, for example).

You need to make sure, if you go this route and want to use an external monitor that you have a decent graphics card that can drive the size you want (as in the cheaper models with integrated graphics are not what you want).

As far as external devices go, I have a powered USB hub on the desk (that I don't normally take with me when I disconnect) so I can attach scanner and Wacom Tablet and Uncle Tom Cobley and All.

I went this route a few years ago figuring if a laptop wasn't up to being a desktop workhorse, then I'd have bought a new laptop and would have to replace the old tower. There might be a few things this setup wouldn't work for - I don't do video, for example - but it's worked well for me.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Thanks Jo Ann.. I guess the graphics card on the Dell Alienware does support external monitors... I'm kinda looking in that direction for now until dear Son comes up with some better idea :loveit: