• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Red color cast

Started by Lynnya, October 08, 2018, 04:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hmmm a sneaky red color cast.. don't ya just hate 'em.. comments on this attempt most welcome..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Jo Ann Snover

I feel a bit awkward saying so, but I think the color isn't quite right. Also, you've changed the angle of her arm from the original and I think it can keep the original position

Your image looks like a lovely hand-colored black and white - so very pleasing. However I think the original was a color photograph. Take a look at my idea of what the original color was next to your restore and see what you think

As we don't get to see the original, this is just guesswork, but I think the shirt was cream with a dark red ric-rac braid. I took some of the color out of the background as I didn't like the greenish tinge it had with the color corrections I did.

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Hi Jo Ann, thanks for input.. What method did you use to color correct to that point.. also what do you see as an arm position in the blue channel.. I had trouble with that..
Thanks
Lynn

Jo Ann Snover

I saw the arm position difference just by layering your correction and the original over one another and turning the correction on and off - it looks like an animation as the arm moves :)

I often draw outlines in color on a layer (set to multiply or screen depending on the image underneath - whatever makes it easiest to see) of basic shapes and important objects in the image. In this case, you have a line in the visible part of the arm (there's nothing much in the blue layer to help on this one) that just needs to be extended out to the edge of the frame.

Color correction was more an eyeball thing with a Curves Adjustment layer, just based on having looked at many, many images (I realize that's not all that helpful to someone else!)

I started with using part of the eye to pick a gray-ish area in a curves adjustment layer and then adjusted the curves "to taste". There are a number of tutorials around about using general guidelines on skintones to color correct, like this one, where you can check what looks good to you against some numbers.

After I adjusted black and white points in the curves adjustment layer, the highlights on her skin were too bright, so I added another curves adjustment layer, set to multiply mode, with a black mask. Then i painted in dark gray over parts that I needed to darken and then blurred the result. You can select highlights with Color Range, but then you have to (a) blur the result on the mask and (b) check to make sure nothing got darker that shouldn't have. I prefer the painting approach.

Did that help? I hope? :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Yes it did help.. :up: thanks.