• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Pixlr Editor on Wikibooks

Started by david_gr, September 27, 2018, 12:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

I am writing a book on Pixlr Editor on Wikibooks.  Pixlr Editor (https://pixlr.com/) is a free photo editor on line.  I use it as part of a basic photography class I teach at our local senior center.  Pixlr Editor is handy for basic edits and offers an opportunity for people to be introduced to image editing and computer art.  The help offered for Pixlr in the application and elsewhere is minimal at best.  So I figured I would write a basic manual for my class and anyone else interested.  So far I have covered the menus and most of the tools with text only.  I tried to contact the publishers of the ap but have been ignored.  So I hesitate to add images of the ap itself but I intend to add some images that are nonproprietary. 

The reason for this post is I am inviting anyone interested to take a look at my book, Pixlr Editor  (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Pixlr_Editor) and participate in it's development.  You can make changes directly to the book on Wikibooks or send me an email ([email protected]).   I am doing this so folks will at least have something to help them with Pixlr Editor.   I don't consider myself and expert photo editor or writer but this will give people something where they had next to nothing before.   So thanks in advance to anyone for input on this project.  :)

Hannie

Great job David, Pixlr Editor looks like an interesting program and it may be easier to learn to use it than Gimp.
Hope you'll get lots of feedback!
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Sorry that I can't help with your project as I don't use Pixlr but I know of it and also its current parent company, Inmagine. They bought Pixlr from Autodesk a year or so ago.

You may be getting the cold shoulder from Inmagine because the business has been in turmoil over the last couple of years. The owners, Andy Sitt and his wife, talked about taking the company public, selling it, but none of those things have happened. Inmagine started a stock image agency, 123 royalty free, years ago, and after building that business up, it has been floundering and contributors don't get answers, bugs don't get fixed and so on.

I'm not a lawyer and fair use issues can be complex. As you are not selling your help text, I'd expect you would be within the fair use guidelines to use screen shots, but obviously getting the copyright owner's OK is ideal.

Did you contact Inmagine or Autodesk with your request?
Jo Ann

david_gr

Jo thanks for the advice.  I haven't contacted anyone recently.  I work on this when  the mood strikes me.  I need to get motivated.  The problem about screen shots is that Wikibooks is sticky about them.  I intend to use screen shots of photos showing the impact of various adjustments and see how that works.  I hope when I get this more complete that it will be something that beginners can use for help.  Pixlr is used by so many people I see this as an opportunity to help a lot of people.