• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

2 Pals

Started by david_gr, September 26, 2018, 09:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david_gr

It's been a few years since I have done some restores for OPR so bear with me.  So here is what I have.

THE ORIGINAL

Here is my first effort at a restore in the original sepia.

Here it is in black and white. 

As you can see there wasn't much damage.  It had a little water damage in the upper left and some spotting throughout.  The white spot by his pants cuff I think is the end of the fireplace so I left it alone.  Please let me know what you think.  David Gr

PS  I like the way you can now post images directly without having to use Photobucket.   :)

Candice

Did you run a filter to remove dust & scratches?  If you did you might go back and overlay the original to get back a little definition to the eyes.  Other than that it looks very good.
Candice

kiska

The border needs to be pure white: 255, 255, 255.
kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Hi David welcome back  :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

david_gr

Thanks for your help with this.  Here is the photo with the changes you suggested. My only concern being when I changed the borders to completely white, I lost the photographer's logo.  Since it was cut off anyway, I guess it is no big thing?  Here is what I came up with.

One other guestion.  In the upper right part of the photo there is some minor water damage.  I used a clone stamp to clean it up as best I could.  Is there a better and/or easier way to fix water damage?  I know that has always been a problem with me.   Again, thanks for the input and help.  :)

Hannie

When I looked at the original I saw that it has a passe partout framing, fairly thick cardboard with a linen print on it.
Not sure what you mean by water damage in the upper part, do you mean the white spots?
They can be easily taken out with a Dust & Scratch layer and a layer mask so only the white spots are affected.

I agree with Candy that the Dust & Scratch filter should be used sparingly, preferably several D & Scr. layers to clean up varying sizes of spots.

To save as much detail as possible:    use the dust and scratch filter and move the radius (keep threshold on 0) far enough to hide some of the worst fine scratches and spots, then move the threshold slider to the right until the you find a setting where those fine spot just start to disappear but the detail of the photo is still in tact.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mhayes

David, keep what is showing of the studio logo since it is mainly just a portion of the bottom of the W. Mask it off, but definitely leave it in. Glad to see you back.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Good to see you back David. The tips from the gang will make your good work even better.  :up:

Mhayes

David, I believe this photo was the color you had originally and not a black/white. This is a very old photo on cardboard stock and personally I like it better that way. When I do a Curves Adjustment it does not want to go B/W and yes, you can force that way, but why?  :up:

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

How about a frame with the full name.   I just took David's good picture cut and pasted it over the old and worked with the old frame.  I then worked on the logo.  C'mon, you guys just knew I had to play with it!!   :cool:

Candice

Mhayes

Not bad Candice. I started wondering why the W was cut off and turns out I found the original before it was cropped to size--and guess who cropped it? Yours truly.  :-[   I have sent David with the original cropped to a 4 x 6 and having the full studio name. David, could start over, leave the country, hire a hit man/woman to take me out, but hope he will accept my profound apologies. Also, this doesn't appear to be on card stock, but look more like paper in an album.

Now you know why David has been gone from our mist for awhile. Sorry.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I wondered about the lines before and after.... now I know!!  I know you remember but a lot of pictures use to come in what looked like a book.  The picture was separate and slid behind the photographer/studios frame.  That's what this reminds me of. 

David will be overjoyed to have the full frame!!  As for him coming after you.... I'll protect ya!!    :knuppel:    :hug:
Candice

Mhayes

Thanks for the projection Candy; I'm hoping weight advantage will come in handy.  8)

I think your right about the lines as this looked more like a page from a book.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Quote from: Mhayes on September 29, 2018, 08:23:27 PM
Thanks for the projection Candy; I'm hoping weight advantage will come in handy.  8)

I think your right about the lines as this looked more like a page from a book.
I know mine will.  LOL 
Candice

Shadow

You gals are a hoot!  ;)