• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Studio Portrait

Started by Lynnya, September 19, 2018, 11:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi gang... I'm starting on this one and I'm not too happy with the skin tones.. any help appreciated..calling all color gurus...

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Lynn, I have been using Hannie's Auto Color trick as a guide when I find myself "wandering".  ;)  I duped the orig layer and then Image > Auto Color. Checked skin color between her eyebrows and it wasn't too bad. Just an idea ...

Lynnya

Thanks Lyn.. I did that and came up with this.. what do you think..no work done on the skin yet ... waiting to try to get the tones right first..

Lynnya

This is where I'm at.. I'm leaving it here until I hear from the color gurus... I'm still not thrilled with the skin tones..

Shadow

Beautiful clean up. Look forward to the final!

Jo Ann Snover

It's hard to tell from the little forum version of the image - I'd like to look at the channels in photoshop. Can you post an image that can be downloaded?

The faces look very mannequin-like - no contrast - and possibly a bit yellow. Sometimes what looks like washed out colors is fixed with improving tones, not color.

However, you can do all your blemish or other cleanup on the faces without waiting for the color  to be final if you use non-destructive editing techniques.  You separate (multiple) pixel layers stacked on top of the original image (which remains untouched) from a set of adjustment layers above. That way you can adjust any part of the edits at any point along the way.

One key thing to remember when you work this way is that the clone and healing brushes must be set to "Current & below" so that all the content below your current pixel layer can be used as you restore.

Here's an example from my most recent restore:

Jo Ann

Lynnya

Hi Jo Ann.. thanks for responding.. I agree with you about the color and tone of the faces..  I always work with layers non destructively but mine are all mixed up together.. how did you separate your pixel layers from your adjustment layers.. or am I having a senior moment...
Thanks again
Lynn 

I've taken advice from Jo Anne and added some contrast and adjusted the color balance again.. this is where I'm at.. am I getting there?
All advice gratefully accepted..

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Lynnya on September 21, 2018, 09:11:45 AM
Hi Jo Ann.. thanks for responding.. I agree with you about the color and tone of the faces..  I always work with layers non destructively but mine are all mixed up together.. how did you separate your pixel layers from your adjustment layers.. or am I having a senior moment...

The layers are just ordered with background at the bottom and then all the pixel layers, in whatever order makes sense for that image (but typically details above general things). The adjustment layers are above that - I just split them into two parts for space reasons in my example. There is only one layers panel for my image - no senior moment on your part :)

The only time you need to turn off the adjustment layers is if you want to blur edges together through multiple pixel layers - always done on its own layer so you don't mess up underlying restoration work. You can make layer comps for "All Layers" and "Pixel Layers Only" so it's faster to do when there are tons of layers.

I think the image is looking better, although the highlights are very bright. I typically have two curves adjustment layers named after their blend modes, Multiply and Screen, which start with black masks. You can then paint in grays on those to selectively darken or lighten parts of the image. I might try a little painting on a multiply layer just for the faces and hands that are brightly lit to see how that works.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

Hi Jo Anne,
How does this look to you.. I used your method with separate layers for the hands and faces.. first time I overdid but I think this looks better..
Thanks for your help on this one..

Jo Ann Snover

At the risk of sounding picky, I think you overshot the mark a little - too much contrast given my guess as to how the original portrait looked. Especially in the darker areas, the shadows are getting plugged up.

Perhaps I can explain myself better with a edit of the original, just for tone and color (i.e. all the damage still there). Here's the PSD file if you'd like to take a look at what I did. And here's a JPEG:

I'm not 100% happy with my version, but I'm telling myself the original was styled and color graded that's part of the reason for them looking as they do. :)

There are some blown areas - at least in the downsized version of the original you posted - on the woman's jeans, right by the edges of the denim jacket. It looks like they're still there in the most recent restore. The nearby jeans should provide something to clone though.
Jo Ann

Lynnya

To be clear, I'd much rather you be picky and help me get this right before submitting it.. I would hate to submit something that was not as good as it could be.  Looking at my last restore I can see the contrast is too high and also the blown area. I'll download your version and step back from the screen a bit and go over it again.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. Standby for the next version  :)

I downloaded the file and to me it still looks like there is a lot of tan/yellow in his complexion.. almost like he's wearing heavy makeup but I'm sure he's not..
Thanks for the detailed file, it'll help me I hope. Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees..

Mhayes

One other thing I keep looking at is the shadow by the man's eye on your right. It's not his hair and since this is a studio photo--I don't think there would be that kind of shadow (almost the shape of the woman's hair). Coming along beautifully.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Jo Ann Snover

Quote from: Mhayes on September 22, 2018, 09:54:05 PM
... and since this is a studio photo--I don't think there would be that kind of shadow (almost the shape of the woman's hair)...

IMO that's exactly what it is - a shadow cast by the woman's curls. If you look at the harsh, small and dark shadows, this isn't a very well lit studio portrait. And it could have been avoided by changing their head positions...

It would be easy enough to fix it, but I don't think it's damage - not by the flood anyway :)
Jo Ann

Lynnya

still at it. Here's where I'm at...is this too dark??

I lightened it a tad...

Candice

Candice