• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

New Baby

Started by karen11554, September 19, 2018, 10:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karen11554

I jUst started this restoration, but I am unsure if I got the color balance correct. Any advice is appreciated!

Lynnya

Hi Karen.. this is a toughie.. to me there is a lot of blue color cast on the back of the chair and on the curtains.. the side of the chair is more the color it should be I think.. if you open the image in hue/sat and crank up the blues you can see it clearly.. I tried reducing the blues and it did help but maybe you'll have to use some of the armchair fabric to correct the back.. also when I tried a levels adjustment in rgb I selected the "good" parts of the image to adjust.. it gives a better result. Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

karen11554

I have been working this photo to death but there is something that really bothers me...maybe its all the blank wall to the left? And something about the color is off too...advice please!

Lynnya

Hi Karen.. I'm not the color guru for sure.. Kiska and Hannie are the true gurus but to me, the blank wall has too much color.. too much blue.I reduced the blue in hue/sat and I think it was better, also maybe a little shadow on the left side of the blank wall looking at the screen.. I think you've brought this a long long way Karen.. it's not an easy one for sure. Hopefully others will weigh in as well. Hang in there, I'm having color issues as well so you are not alone ;D
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Jo Ann Snover

Take a look at my attempt at explaining the things I think need working on - sometimes a picture works better.

If you're not sure about how to make the changes I can elaborate a bit, but I used curves adjustment layers to get neutral grays, a hue/sat adjustment layer to tone down the yellows a bit and a curves layer set to multiply mode (with a black mask to start, and painted on in dark gray) to darken the baby's blanket.

The outline drawn over the original (layer set to multiply or screen as works best for your image, with colors that stand out) helps to show where the objects should be and can guide your restore. Sometimes it's really hard to see the details through the damage, but if you can get the basic shapes right, it helps a lot. You can turn the outline layer back on again periodically just to check.

Your restore doesn't line up with the original when I layer the two in photoshop and they should. It's probably not worth trying to put things back in place now, but it does mean adjusting an outline made over the original.
Jo Ann