• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Husband and Wife

Started by Candice, September 12, 2018, 02:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candice

Someone had fun with the oil gun!   :cool:  :knuppel:
Here's my starting WIP.

Candice

Mhayes

Candy,

Good start on this one, but I'm wondering if the photo was a sepia to begin with? When I do a simple Curves Adjustment, the whites do not want to go white. I'm also wondering if this photo could have been on a tin. I will send an email or call the owner and see if they remember. With the blueish sheen it looks like some oxidation took place.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mhayes

Candy,

I got a hold of the owner and the picture date 1925 and it is of his grandparents. The picture was sepia to begin with, so will stay that way. I know it would be tempting to take the B/w and do a sepia but I don't think it will looks as good as working with the original. The real pain is getting rid of the bluish cast around the bottom.

I did a quick and dirty by doing an Auto Level's Adjustment--did not do it Channel by channel since it was not a color photo. I then merge layers and did an Auto Curves Adjustment.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Thanks for the information, Margie.  The grandparents are the same generation as my grandparents.  It's a great picture!!

Let me share with you one way I work:

#1 -  First, I take the picture down to a grayish/BW to work on and by doing so, for me, it helps me see more of the gunk when it's not in full blow sepia. I then start to work on the corrections.  I only do this for these kinds of pictures.
#2 -  Next, I'll overlay the original for more clarification on the restoration and to see if I missed something...
#3 -  Then finish up on the last changes for return.
#4 -  Lastly, I post what I think is the final version to see if anyone else sees anything thing that needs to be corrected. 

After that I return it to my distributor, which in this case is you.   :)  In the end, I would have offered two versions, a b/w and a sepia, but since the family is specific about the sepia, I will return only one version.

Let me ask you a question.... Do you think that the family wants it as DARK as your corrected version?

Candice

Mhayes

Candy,

No problem with your work process. Most of the time the photos are B/W and giving QC the option of two is fine. Where we get in trouble if there are multiple sepia photos , but more than one volunteer is doing the photos for the family. We end up with various shades of sepia and some come closer to being just an orange tint.

No, I do not think the family wants it as DARK as I have it, but this was a Quick and Dirty, not a finished work as that is your photo to finish. And yes, 1/2 way down is too dark and in case you haven't notice there is a hand at the bottom we might leave out. Your version is good, but I think some of the highlights on the face are blown out.

Here is a lighten version, but yes I haven't tried to lighten the bottom half as that has more problems with the blue haze.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I noticed the hands, but honestly... they weren't in the right position so I assumed it was from another picture laying on this one.  I know I have a long way to go.  I only had about an hour to play with it.  Virtually no time at all.  I'll hold off posting until I'm a good bit along.  I just wanted to share the original mainly and a start of the other.  It's a grand picture!

So you think there was a border around this picture?  Hmmm I wasn't sure but looking a bit closer... maybe. 

How's this for a start?  Border and Sepia

Tis good to get all the questions out of the way.  PS  If you have a sepia preference just send me the color picker #.

Candice

Mhayes

I didn't notice hands, but rather just the one that I assumed would be the husband's.

No, I do not think there was a border around the photo but rather where the photo was peeled off. I would not put one in.

Nice start.

My sepia preference is for what the photo has.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I still have a long way to go, but I thought I'd post this before I head to bed.  Night night!!

Candice

Shadow

You've come a long way. It's gonna' be great  :)

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I'm at a stand still for the moment.  The bottom of the picture is a quandry to me so for right now I used a smudge brush on it. Also, the colors around the breast area is not how I am seeing it in PS.  The image post has it looking odd. However, I thought I'd post the WIP. 

Candice

Shadow

This is a tricky one. Really nice cleanup so far! Your first WIP shows their arms better. This was real quick ... ignore the color and probably too many wrinkles on man's sleeve but you get the idea.  Margie might have a better idea. Good luck!

Candice

This is where I am at this time.

Candice

Mhayes

Candice, how about a compromise? I like your restore before this one better, with one exception. I like now how you have the arms. However, the other looks better and richer. I know this is a WIP, but now my eyes goes to her mid section and she looks like she is sagging. By going darker a little ways up from the bottom takes care of not having to do the hand.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I could probably come up with a blend, Margie.  Had to put it away for a little .... my little eyes were at this stage ---->  :D
Candice