• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Hello?

Started by Ryan, March 16, 2021, 04:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan

Is OPR still functioning? I've not been here for quite a while, so maybe I missed the memo, or perhaps procedures have changed.

Mhayes

Ryan,

There are posts on OPR's Facebook about the current situation with Covid. I should have sent out a newsletter to everyone, but have gotten lax about it. We have no photos, because we are not able to do copy runs where we go to a disaster site and set up shop. It's too risky. I have let people that inquire that they can have their copies scanned either by FedEx or any office supply store. They may also scan the photos themselves, but they cannot have the whistles and bells on the scanner try to color correct--that is a total disaster of which we can't undo. It's fine for normal and old photos that have faded, but does work with those in flood water or hit by a tornado and the rains that follow. So far no takers.

I wish I could give you an idea when things will change. There have been plenty of disasters, so no shortage of opportunity. However, it would be nice to have people in those locations help. That would save us the big expense for us of flying, motels, meals, etc.

I guess you could say the procedures have changed because of Covid. I know personally people who have died from it and I'm not going to chance it and the rest of the group feels the same. I'm not sure that we can sit like this forever. Thanks for asking.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Ryan

Hi, Margie.
Thanks for the update. I teach photography and digital imaging, and I have often used OPR in my classes. I dropped by last week, but was curious when I found only crickets. I hope life returns to something resembling normal sometime soon. Be well.
Ryan

Mhayes

Hi Ryan,

I don't know where you live, but if there is anyone there that needs their photos restored, let us know. I'm sure a small number your class could do them. But perhaps in the future we can work something out if there are any disasters in your area where a large number of people need our service. Yes, to the crickets.  ;D

Thanks for the feedback and any suggestions will be welcome.
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

I hate to be the Debbie Downer.... but covid has killed OPR.
Candice

Mhayes

Debbie Downer, pretty much for now. Plus a big problem is no one else wants to organize a copy run, even if it's in their  back yard. I would think that when we offer (on Facebook) to do the restoring if people could get their damaged photos to places like FedEx or Office Max, we would have some takers--we have not. Those places do a very good scan at a high dpi. Even a home scanner if the whistles and bells are turned off. And yes, Covid has changed things on how we can operate.

We're not throwing in the towel just yet, but things will have to change and time will tell how soon.

:hug:
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Tori803

I think we've all been in a wait-and-see mode, but it's time to start being proactive about our new reality. Life has changed and OPR can adapt!
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Shadow

All for the adapting!  :up2:

BBeesley

Mhayes

Hi Everyone

Behind the scenes Tori has been offering some suggestions on how we can operate differently than before and perhaps help more people. It will be a work in progress. More on that to come.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Candice

Candice