• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Man in B&W

Started by coopmj, May 09, 2018, 05:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coopmj

Hi All,

Let me know if you see anything amiss here, especially with the tone.  I haven't done a B&W in ages.

Thank you!

Mary

Original

Restore

Shadow

Wonderful Mary!  :up:

Candice

I recognize that face!  Lovely, Mary. :)
Candice

Hannie

Looking good Mary!

Not sure what method you used to get B/W but the photo is now in Grayscale mode?
For B/W I like to use a Channel mixer adjustment layer and check the Monochrome box.  This way photo will stay in RGB color mode.

One small thing, the right lapel (his left) could use some dodging in places to match the left one.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

coopmj

Hmmm...I just used a B&W adjustment layer. I'll go back and figure that out, (and dodge a bit, too)!

Thank you!

coopmj

When I check the mode (both the psd file and the jpg that I created to post on the forum), it says RGB...Not sure what's going on...

Hannie

Mary, it was PostImage that changed the color mode from RGB to Grayscale.  I just tried it myself, I wonder if they do that to save space?   ???
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

coopmj

Maybe that's it, although I just tried Candice's B&W photo of the couple (same man!) :) that she did a few days ago and that one showed up as RGB.  Ah well, one of the great computer mysteries I guess.  I'll go ahead and send it back (dodging is all done) and hopefully it will upload correctly.

Candice

To take my photos to B/W, I use the Hue/Saturation and take the saturation all the way down as far as it can go. 
Candice

Hannie

Perhaps it is our browsers that handle download JPGs in different ways.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

MikeG

After reading this post I decided to do a little test. I took one of my photos and changed it to b&w using three different methods, 1 a black and white adjustment layer, 2 a channel mixer layer with monochrome checked, and 3 a hue/saturation layer with saturation set to its lowest point. All three images were psd files and looked about the same and showed as RGB. I then flatten each one and they still should as RGB. I then converted them to JPG and they still were RGB. I believe using the black and white adjustment layer gave the best control over the final look of the image. Also in all images examination of the three channels showed the same histogram. I think that at one time there was a post that said you should not submit a b&w image using the b&w adjustment layer but this experiment shows that it does not make a difference. Just my opinion.