• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Color Dilemna

Started by Shadow, May 08, 2018, 09:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Oh my. Calling on all the color gurus for your help! Tried all the usual ways to deal with a color cast and it just looked awful.  :crazy:  Then remembered one time Hannie suggested Auto Color, Tone and Contrast. So, here we are. Did an Auto Curves. Merged that and did an Auto Color, Auto Tone, and Auto Contrast. Am at a loss how to proceed or if this is the wrong path to begin with. All guidance welcome!! Thanks gang.

Mshake

Hi Shadow. This is really a tough one. I did the usual threshold layer to find the black white and grey points. Then I set those with a curves layer. Then I used levels to set the red, blue and green histograms. I did go alot further with the dark point on the red slider. Next, I added a color balance layer and strictly by eye, I adjusted the sliders in the highlights, mid-tones and shadows. Then I added another curves layer and just used the preset called darker and lowered the opacity to 60% on that layer. Anyway, this is what I came up with and it still needs work. Good luck!

Mike

Mhayes

And remove those pesky fingers.  :)
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Hannie

Shadow, perhaps remove fingers before you do tone and color may give a different result?
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

kiska

The color contamination is very blotchy. Will need to paint more on color layer to help it. Selected photo away from border, filled new layer below selection with 255 white. Basic levels, curves, then color balance.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Great tips Kiska, thanks.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

philbach

Well perhaps starting this restore using lab may be the easiest way to get started.   I converted the photo to lab mode and worked on the lightness channel.   After that I converted back to RGB and used auto color.   I think that simplifies the start of this difficult project.  Photo one is the original, lightness channel before correcting that channel.  Photo two is the corrected lightness channel.   Then after correction I converted back to RGB and just ran auto color on it.  Its a start.  Just an idea.

phil

aharts

Hi. I don't normally post on forums but this looked fun and I had a few minutes to spare. Only had time to do a quick correction though so it's far from perfect but hopefully it should give you some ideas...

Candice

Candice

Shadow

Drag in from a long day and there's the holy grail of color cast fixes waiting for me. Thank you all so much!  :wnw: Dowloading the pics you so graciously included with your suggestions and will be back later with an update. Will remove the fingers first - good suggestion Hannie and Margie. And aharts, thank you very much for weighing in and sharing your process.

How does this look on your screens?

Lynnya

Lookin good Lyn.. she is a bit pale on my screen.. (she may be anyway) and I think I would darken down the light areas on the top of her hair and on the front of her dress.. I think that's damage..other than that she looks great  :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Thanks Lynn. Totally agree.

Candice

She is lovely.  Looks like my graduation pics.

Candice

Hannie

Shadow, I like your first version better.  I believe her dress may be green.
Perhaps you can try to copy what Kiska did? 
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

good luck Shadow... this is one of "those" isn't it..  :D you'll get there.. it's nearly there now  :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...