• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

My first retouch project

Started by jbourland, April 14, 2018, 12:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbourland

So here is my first image since joining. I welcome any comments or critiques. We are all artists and prefer the honest truth to sugar coating. If you see an issue let me know, that is how we grow.

Lynnya

Hey there great to have you aboard!! The thing that jumped out at me was a yellow overtone.. I took your original and did a levels adjustment in red green and blue separately, then found a neutral gray spot and did a curves adjustment and came up with lighter gown and less yellow in the clothes and skin.. I would also clean up the wall at the top a bit more.. that caught my eye.. Great job on the repairs and with a few tweaks you'll be good to go..

Hearty welcome.. we love new input and eyes!! :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

jbourland

Thank you for the input. Good eye. I will make those changes. I need to get in the habit of when I finish, give it a day and then come back and make sure color and tonal values are correct.

jbourland

Lynnya

Looks great back at ya later have to run out the door...

Lynnya

Hi Jbour.. looking at your second restore it nows seems a little pinkish in the background tones..

I'm not sure what work flow you use or are practicing with.. OPR generally recommends doing the color correction very first thing as if you leave that to the end it can send all the repairs and changes a bit wonky (technical term).  We all have our own way of doing this.. personally I start with a levels adjust ment of rgb all seperately. Holding down the Alt key for the sliders shows any clipping (sorry if you already know that)... then I usually do a Curves adjustment to find neutral gray.. I use the difference method and that usually gets rid of any strange casts.  Then (shadow taught me this) I find that black and white points... black set to about 14 or 15... white to about 244 ish or so.  If the damage is really bad it's hard to correct the color... selecting the least damaged part of the image and trying to incorporate skin, blacks white and colors into the selection I correct that with layer adjustments and then  fill the mask with white which corrects the whole image.. (make sense  :-\)

I used to do my color corrections last and made for some very strange results.. took me forever to stick to doing it first.. often tweak at the end as well tho.  Ask lots of questions.. we LOVE questions as we all learn something from the answers.  Sometimes I'll take the image and add a hue/sat layer and crank up the colors individually.. like magentas etc.. then you can see where the color damage lies.

Others will have input here too, probably much better than mine.   Lynda.com has tutorials but not a lot on restoration and if you are a retoucher there won't be too much for you there.. there is a lack of material out there for restoration.. here is the best place as far as I'm concerned.
Good luck and welcome again. :up:

Hannie

just saw that Lynn posted  before I did  :)

Hi Jeff, thank you for posting your first OPR restore, great job!

I agree with Lynn that there may be too much yellow in her robe.
I think I saw in the blue channel that the bottom part of the dress flared outward a little?

One thing jumped out at me and that is that there are still some stains in her face and neck.  It could use a little more cleaning and if and so does the backdrop.  After you clean those up it will be a better match with her already clean looking robe.

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

jbourland

Thank you for the feedback. I'll make the requested adjustments and re submit.