• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Need eagle eyes at Homecoming

Started by Marydh, April 08, 2018, 04:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Please take a look and let me know if you think I should make any changes.
She sort of looks like she's not standing on the floor but floating above it but I
don't know what to do about it.
Thanks,
Mary

Lynnya

Hi Mary.. boy you've brought this a long way..I see your issue re floating.. To me, it looks like she's a little too perfect.. maybe if there was some more texture (fabric) to the background? I would have added some noise to her skin a little as well and some shadows under her shoes.. maybe mess her up a little.. others will have good suggestions to help as well.. Mike is real good with shadows and Shadow is real good at details.. (I'm the messy one lol) one tiny thing.. do you think her eyes are a tiny bit dark.. they look a little lighter on the original..

You are nearly there Mary..  :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

You are a brave woman! Beautiful work so far!!
The bkgd on this image is tough. Now the all white is popular. Both make me cringe.   :P  Lynn's tips will help. The thing that jumps out for me is the left eye (looking at the screen). Overlayed the orig over the current WIP and then used a small brush with white on a new layer to outline pupils eyebrows etc and you can see the orig position better.
Really nice Mary ... look forward to seeing your final! Good luck.

Mshake

First off Mary, you've taken this a long way from the original. Really tough photo to restore. I hope you don't mind but I downloaded your WIP and made some changes for you to consider.  To  me her face was a little off so I just used the smudge tool to push it around some. I pushed her jaw on her right side up a little to match the original closer.  Then I felt her nose was to high and wide so I gave her a nose job...lol, pushed it in and down. Next her eyes, I just put marks on the original at the corners and high point on the top and bottom eyelids and pushed it around to match those positions or you can do what Shadow suggests.

Then I went and added a 50% gray layer and changed blend mode to overlay and painted with low opacity black on it to add shadow. I brushed it around her feet and the shadow side of her shoes or the image left.  Light source is coming from the photogs right. I also brushed some on the right side of her face and a little more on her neck and some around the eyes. Also, I painted the floor and along the sides to darken those areas.

The last thing was adding another 50% gray layer with blend mode set to overlay for texture. Converted it to a smart layer then added a noise filter, set to uniform and monochromatic. I think I used about 25. Then I added a stylize/emboss filter with settings at 60,4,23. Being a smart object layer these are smart filters so you can go back and adjust either or both as many times as you want. That kind of roughs her up like Lynn suggests.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

Marydh

Thanks for all the tips guys!    Holy kamoly Mike. The smudge tool is amazing.  It would be easy for me to cut and paste yours Mike, but I'm going to try doing all your tips myself (may take a while).
I'm learning a lot. Thanks and I'll post when I get a bit further.

Mshake

The smudge tool is pretty good for stuff like that. I forgot to add that I went around all the edges of her with the blur tool to soften that sharp edge. That helps blend her into the photo too.  I don't know if you can fix this but to me, she looks like she's leaning backward a little bit.
Mike

Hannie

Mary, you have done such a great job bringing this girl back to life!
I think she is wearing open toed shoes.

Great nose job Mike.  :)
She does seem to lean back some, what if her knee faces more towards the front and the skirt comes a little more to the left?

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Well Hannie!  How in the world did I miss open toed shoes!!! Thank you.
I think this is as far as I can take it.  I was wondering, however, if I should paint her fingernails red to match
her toes.

Shadow

Mhayes

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

coopmj

Wow, you did a wonderful job on this! (I could never even have picked this one!)

Mary (the other one)

Candice

Candice

Marydh

Thanks so much guys!  I'm going to send her up.
Mary

Mshake

Great job Mary! That was a tough one.  :up:
Mike

jbourland

It is weird how the original image is distorted, like looking at a print from an angle. Your retouching I think is great.