• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Rocker Baby

Started by Marydh, March 10, 2018, 07:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marydh

Hi all.  This was a bear.  Let me know what you see.  I decided not to add hair.  I thought it made her look really fake. 

Mshake

Wow, that is a tough one. A few things I see.

The background looks noisy to me. If you added noise to it click the monochrome box then apply a gaussian blur to the background.

I would touch up the dark areas on her collar where it meets the background, same with the rocker leg and around the horses head. Maybe just clone it in from the background.

I would try to soften the shadows on her dress, under her arm and her face and leg. I made a new layer above it, changed it's blend mode to soft light then grabbed a soft tip brush with colors set to black and white. Paint on this layer with white over the dark areas with opacity at 100% and flow at 10%. If you went to much switch to black to darken it.

The shadow under the rocker would not curve but instead would be flat to the ground and get lighter and softer as it gets farther away from the ground. I hope that makes sense. I did mine by making a new layer then I made rectangle selection parallel to the rocker then I filled it with black. I then applied a gaussian blur to that and lowered the opacity of the layer. I then added a layer mask and painted with black at low opacity over each end to lighten the shadow.

For her hair, I would clone it. After that grab a brush that looks like a sponge. Brush in some hair so it looks more natural. Do it on a separate layer and blur it again using gaussian blur.

The final step would be to just go over and sharp edges with the blur tool to soften those.

Sorry Mary, it was more than a few things I guess but I get carried away.

Mike

Mike

Hannie

Mary, great repairs on the little girl and rocking horse! :up2:
As Mike pointed out already, the background is too noisy and his tips will help to make it look better.
Background replacement hardly ever looks good, you lose the subtle shading that made it look realistic before. 

The one thing that jumps out at me is the back of the the dress, collar and her left foot.  In the original the shading there is very dramatic (dark). When you place the original and WIP next to each other it will not be too difficult to see where to add shading.

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Marydh

Thanks Hannie and Mike.  I'll work on your tips.
One question, do you think the top of her head to the side is light or damage.
I thought it was damage all along but then changed my mind.

Shadow

You've come so far. Wow! Unsure about the light. Good luck.!

Mshake

Mary, I think her hair that's in front and on top would be lighter but not a lot. Probably about the same color as her bangs. It's really bad lighting for a portrait if you ask me. ^-^

By the way, you did a fantastic job on the horse and her dress.

Mike
Mike

jesterjeni

I think the backdrop was a darker green, I love what you have done with this picture... I played with it a bit to see what I could come up with `` maybe anything that might help... the shadows on the face are not as clean in my image as in yours ,, but here it is just the same

Marydh

Thank you all.  I've done all I am able.
It's gotta go home because I'm going out of town. :0)

Hannie

Really good job Mary! 
:up2: :up2: :up2:
Come back soon! :)
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

:up: :up:  Have a good time!

Marydh

Thanks guys.  Guess where I going.  Yes, Boston.
You know, the city that has a blizzard watch. :-\

Shadow

Oh Mary, hope you like the cold! 

Mhayes

Mary,

You really picked a fun one to work.  :funny: You really didn't have to let this restore drive you out of town. Great job of bringing the photo back to life. Enjoy your stay in Boston.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Lynnya

Mary where are you!  All flights in Boston cancelled... hope you are not stuck in some motel somewhere :-\
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Marydh

You guys are really sweet.  I reread my post and I meant to say I  "was" going to Boston.
Yes, flight was canceled.  Glad to be in my warm house in Nashville.  I sure feel for those
people up there.  The THIRD nor'easter!
Margie, lol.
Thank,
Mary