• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Sweet boy

Started by Shadow, February 15, 2018, 11:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Just starting on this little guy. Used the Threshold layer for the Black and Gray points. Excluding the damage there doesn't really seem to be a White point. Added a Curves Auto layer and it looks better.Wondering if this is one of those "painted" photos? How does the color look on your screens? Would you tweak it to eliminate the slight blue cast? Thanks for your thoughts gang.

Hannie

Not sure if this was a painted b/w photo but the rosy cheeks and red lips look like it may be.
I don't know if it is a blue cast or just lots of dirt?  Perhaps wait until damage repair is finished to decide?
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Oh Lyn... you are catching my bug of torturing ourselves.. lovely lovely image ... you are very brave. Look forward to seeing your wips... color so far looks good to me..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Funny Lynn. Good idea Hannie. Will focus on the damage and then double check color. Later alligators  ;)

Mhayes

Shadow, Hannie right and I'm positive this one was a photo that was hand colored later. Makes for fun color correction.  >:D

Margie

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

philbach

Well I played with this photo some.  I felt that the background color was neutral gray.  I converted the photo to lab mode and added a curves adjustment layer.  I increased the contrast in the lightness channel.  In the a&b channels I increased the saturation and balanced the the color to the background.  His cheeks are rosy, aren't they. 

phil

Shadow

Funny Margie with the wee little horns! Thanks Phil. Always like learning new ways to do things.  Here's a WIP. At this point I am wondering what in the world I was thinking!  :crazy:

Shadow

Another WIP. Slow going on this one. Used the cutie Phlern's skin from scratch on the face and am trying to figure out how to do the mouth and the highlighting and shading from the nose to mouth ... did that make sense? Comments and thoughts are surely welcome! Thanks gang.

Hannie

You're getting there Shadow!  You are so brave, I would not come near this one with a 10 foot pole.   ;D
Keep the mouth edges soft and some dodging in the middle of lower lip.
For the philtrum I would Google images and try to copy the shading in a similar photo?
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Bambi

And if the rest weren't hard enough ... that shirt!  :cool:

Shadow

Not brave Hannie ... nuts! Have no earthly idea what I was thinking  :D  And you said it Bambi. The shirt is nightmare! This is where we are. To me it looks painted and the mouth is just wrong. Thinking I may have to give this one back so an artist can tackle it.

Lynnya

Boy you've come a long way with this really tough one Lyn..  Hard tho it is I think you'll get there in the end..  I feel your pain..  :up: :up:

Lynnya

I think I've made things worse.. I tried shading his face a bit.. shaded under his lip and whitened the middle of his lower lip.. gave him suggestions of eye lashes as I could see some in the original...I thinks he's now too dark ... I did steal a lower lip and reduced opacity to near nothing.. :cool:  Sorry I can't be of more help Lyn.. others may be

Shadow

Thank you for your efforts and example!! Collaborative efforts are much appreciated. Back later with something ...  ::)

jesterjeni

I played with this a bit, I don't know if its any help...but here was my resulting image