• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Garden Group

Started by Shadow, January 14, 2018, 12:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow

Hi Gang. Hope everyone's new year is off to a good start. We are slow here. Went extra rounds with that dreaded flu and are just now getting back. Holey Molely! Good luck to anyone unlucky enough to get it.
Now then, maybe that flu fried my "how-to-fix-color" brain cells. This pic has a magenta/bluish cast to it that I am having little success with. Sure would appreciate your direction on this one! Below is the original and one with an Auto Curves. All your ideas are welcome. Many thanks gang  :)

Lynnya

Hey Lyn.. glad to see you back at work.. don't overdo it now girl.  Your correction is lookin good but I'm still seeing a fair amount of magenta cast.. look in your hue/sat adjustment layer and crank up the magenta then crank it down to see what I'm talking about.. and trust me.. flu does fry color brain cells.. actually even a cold will fry mine..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Pat

That flu bug is particularly wicked this year.  So glad you are beating it.  This is what I got with just simple levels adjustment with the black and white droppers.  Still needs some color work but may be an improvement?

Pat

"Take a deep breath and think of the three things you are grateful for, right in this moment."  -MJ Ryan Author

Mhayes

Shadow, glad you are feeling better and hope you are taking it easy. It looks like the flu season is getting a lot worse.

Here is what I got after playing around with different results. Normally I like the auto Curves Adjustment the best. I see your point about the magenta cast. I notice that happens a lot with older photos without water damage. Going with a Levels Adjustment usually works really well by itself and in combination with a Curves Adjustment. Pat's version seems to take on more of a yellow cast. I did a Curves Adjustment and started with finding the gray point. From there I did something I usually don't do as seldom do I have a true white and black. But in this case I had plenty to choose from--socks and I chose the white belt on the boy on your right. Then for black I picked the woman's shoes. There is still work to be done on the boy on your right has yellow staining on his pants and arm. Also on the opposite side you can see the pillars by the water have a greenish cast. See what you think.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

A color balance layer might help, too.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Hannie

Hope you are feeling better Lynn!
I sometimes get rid of the yellow staining on the right side and bottom before I do any any color correction.  It can help your eyes not going in the wrong direction when you do the levels and curves.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

You gals are the best! Thank you so much for the suggestions and especially the screen shots! Will try all of them.
There were lots of warnings about what to watch for with the flu. This year's bug has a tendency to start over after about 5 days they said. They were right. It's the secondary stuff that will make you wish for your Mama! Silver lining ... no holiday weight left to lose  ;)  All of you stay strong and healthy!!

Shadow

Okeedokee ... here's where we're at. Thanks again for the tips and screenshots. Ended up with Levels (used Threshold layer to identify multiple b/w points and then sampled different ones.) Then added a Hue/Sat and reduced the Mag, Blue and some of the yellow. Tweaked the 2 corners and then added another Hue/Sat to bring down some more of the yellow and red in the bkgd. Did I go too far? Can't tell for sure what color that stone floor should be. Welcome all your feedback and wisdom!!

Lynnya

Lyn that looks really really nice... to me.. it's a beautiful job!!! :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Hannie

I agree, it looks good Lynn.
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks for the extra eyes! Thinking this is the final. Send it home??

Mhayes

Shadow, very nicely done on a photo that had multiple problems that age of the photo didn't help.  :up:

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Thanks Margie! It was fun once I got on the right track with the color.