• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Traces of Blue Ink

Started by jaytrumpet, November 07, 2017, 09:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaytrumpet

Original:

1st attempt:

After I turned this in Bambi wrote:

Hi, Jay:

This is a deceptively difficult restoration. There are still traces of blue where you removed the ink. And this really needs a good color correction. It's way too yellow.

This would be a good one to post on Forum. I think people could learn from your work in progress.

--
Bambi
[email protected]

I worked on it a bit and made some improvements but I'm still having trouble getting rid of the blue tint where the writing once was. Here is my latest:

I tried using a hue/saturation adjustment layer but it did not really work. Any Suggestions?

Lynnya

Hi Jay... you've brought this a long way.. here's what I tried..
On your latest wip try Image - Auto Color - Auto Tone... seemed to bring it more in line a bit..

Also for the blue ink? Go to your channels - duplicate your green channel - copy it and paste it over your rgb image then mask it out. Paint back in just where the blue shows and then if it needs a little color to match it up with the rest of the image just create another layer with a soft light blend mode and paint in the matching colors.. is this all making sense??
Let us know how you got on.. looking forward to seeing your next wip..There is no blue damage in the green channel.. none in the blue either I think but the green looked better to me..

Lynn

p.s. if you need me to show in more detail just say the word  :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Jay, thank you so much for posting this. Was hoping to see how someone would restore this image and get rid of the ink. Your work so far is wonderful. Look forward to seeing your final.
And Lynn, thanks for your tip!

jaytrumpet

Lynn,

Thanks for the help. Using Auto Color and Auto Tone helped a lot. I tried duplicating the green channel and masking it out as you directed but that washed the color out. Maybe I am doing it wrong, the green channel duplicated comes in as a B&W image. Changing it to soft light didn't help, I must be doing something wrong.

Lynnya

Hi Jay.. lookin good  :up: here's the deal.. yes the green channel over the rgb layer washes it out - here's the trick.. lay your green channel on top of your rgb then you'll see its black and white.. that's o.k. now press ALT and your mask icon and the black and white layer will no longer be visible.  Now you can take your brush and painting with white brush out the blue writing as the blue is not in the green underlying channel.  If you see that the area you've painted out has lost color.. Stamp visible all you layers (cntrol ALT shift E) .. then in a new empty layer in blend mode soft light sample the color you need to cover any black and white showing through..

Clear as mud? lol..

I  can be quite confusing.. I'd be happy to show you if you need.. you're nearly there!!! :up: :up:

Lynnya

Or.. maybe this will work easier and better... Now you have a nice color correction try this.. On a new empty layer in "color" mode with your brush set to around 50% sample the good color on the face or dress and paint over the blue several times.. you can change the opacity if you need to.. you can do it on the pink dress and the green dress.. also on the arm of the standing girl.. thats works well also.. maybe better..I notice there is quite a bit of "red" in the right wall (looking on my screen) and in the background.. you can see it best if you look at hue/sat and crank up the reds.. you might want to reduce that a bit..

Let me know how it goes..(love your avatar :)

philbach

Hi.  I tried Lynnya's Method and found that the blue channel worked better for me.   I opened the image and placed an image adjustment layer and corrected for tone and color in the original image.  I then "stamped" a new layer by using option+command+e on a mac which combined the first two layers to a new layer.  On top of that layer I placed a new blank layer.  andI then selected the green channel first and then the blue channel.  It seemed that the blue channel gave the most correction.   I did not mask these new channels but I thought I would post the results.

Phil

phil

jaytrumpet

OK, I did more work on it incorporating some of your suggestions. I think I vanquished the blue ink! I need some different eyes to critique it. How is this one?

kiska

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Lynnya

Hi Jay... nearly there with this tricky color problem.. I found the neutral grey point (mine was under the tv on the wall) using the difference method and the grey dropper in curves adjustment - that got rid of the yellow grey look.. then I upped the vibrance a tad..The red cast on the door to the right and the back wall you could get rid of by reducing the reds in hue/sat and then masking it out.. Glad you conquered the blue ink!! :up:

jaytrumpet

Better?

Lynnya

Much better :up: Still got a couple of marks on the Grandma's forehead and the red cast on the door and back ground..Unless others can see anything? Maybe smooth out the white wall on the left.. with all the changes it's perhaps brought out some smudges..

Lynn