• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Wedding Trio

Started by Lynnya, October 21, 2017, 10:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Mornin all... color correction only on this so far. Usual way... levels.. curves.. I'm finding mostly don't need the curve adjustment after levels unless the blacks are too black and the whites are off.. Doing that with the on image adjustment (Shadow watches over my shoulder)... I've also been looking in the hue saturation and cranking up the magenta's and reds to see just how bad (or good) they are.. seems these particular wedding pics are full of magenta and red where it shouldn't be.. walls, dress etc.. I just eliminate them in those areas.. anyhow.. here's my WIP.. comments or suggestions welcome..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Mornin' back at ya. Looking good so far. On my screen there was a bit extra blue in his tux? Do you think maybe it was blue? In case it was black ... added another Curves and tweaked it just a bit. See what you think on your screen. Good luck!

Lynnya

Hmmm ... dunno.. thanks shadow for checking... maybe my tweaking added blue.. I will definitely re check... I would think his tux was black..

thanks  :hug:

Shadow

Its the curse and fun of color correction! Often wonder "how did that happen!?" If I look too frustrated Shadow just takes me for a stroll.  :funny:

Lynnya

O.k.... I"m having a senior moment here Shadow... walk me through exactly how you corrected those numbers cos I never do that.. For some odd reason I don't care if the numbers are off key.. when I tried to correct them it all went to phoey (as you would say).. so please treat me like a complete idiot and give me a curves lesson.. :hug:Thanks in advance.

Lynnya

Here's my latest wip... what am I missing pleasa senoritas and senors....

Shadow

So, we're back from our walk in the rain.  :)  See if this helps. And keep in mind, this is just what works for me. Think most of it comes from Taz Tally and Bert Monroy. Oh, and Margie and Hannie!  ^-^

Opened your image in PS. Don't always trust my eyes so I usually add a Threshold layer to get more accurate Black and White reference points. Then (channeling Margie) I added a Curves layer, Clicked that box to get the most accurate histogram and then clicked Auto (White dropper set to 244 and black dropper set to 15) to see what PS thought. See where the R and G are 19 and B is 26? That's when I wondered if maybe there might be slight blue cast. 

Turned off Auto Curves Layer and added another Curves Layer. Made sure still most accurate histogram and then Clicked beside RGB on Adj Panel to choose Red. I have my Curves layer set to automatically select On target adj (hand at top left) so I held down Shift + Ctrl and clicked on white point. (That sets the point for each channel on your histogram.) Then used my arrow keys to adjust it up to 244. Then clicked on black point and lowered it to 15. You repeat for each channel until you have it where it looks good to you.
Did all of that make sense?

Lynnya

Thanks dearie for great tute! I've done Taz and love what he teaches.. somehow this all slipped out.. I'm gonna have a go at getting these numbers in line and see what happens... :wnw:

Lynnya

This is what I came up with... better?? Used Shadow's (taze's Bert's Margie's and Hannie's) method (can't ALL be wrong :funny:)... after all, the're only experts..

what do you think... it's a little less contrasty as well...

Shadow

Looking really good.  :up:  On my monitor its a bit cool. Might need to check my calibration.  ::)

Hannie

Most of the time I don't use any fancy color correction methods, just the plain old Levels in RGB each and then Curves white/black points (have to turn down opacity till the whites are not blown out), then a Curves gray dropper that I sample in different areas till I get a pleasing skin tone and the rest looks still OK as well.

Afterwards I sometimes use the Auto Tone and Auto Color to check if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me.  That is not always possible but with this portrait it works.
I look at the Info panel a lot to check whites and blacks.

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks for all this great input... sets me straight again...

I've warmed this up a bit in color balance.. just upped the yellow a tad.. is it better? worse?

Shadow

Lovely Lynn!! :up: Send them home.
It's neat that there are so many different ways to do something in PS. Have to go back and check out the Auto Tone and Auto Color Hannie. Also still like the Alt + drag in each slider. Often does the trick with only a bit of tweaking.

Hannie

Shadow I also use Alt drag slider all the time.  It pinpoints the exact right place to let go of the slider.

Lynn, it looks great! 

:up:
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]