• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Angel with the Blue Dress

Started by Bambi, October 14, 2017, 07:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bambi

Finishing touches?

melker

Hello,

it really looks great! Just some little remarks. I think the left (our left) eyebrow isn't as arched. The reason why the right eyebrow looks like that is because of the rounding of the face. I would bring in the arch closer to the nose and make it less pointy.

If possible I would keep the shadow at her left arm too, so it doesn't look flat.

:)

Hannie

Beautiful job Bambi!
I wonder if the 2 white dots in the corner of her eye are damage?

Welcome to the forum Melker, I like your eyebrow tip!

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Mike Morrell

Looks great, Bambi!

Maybe I'm being far too picky (if so please ignore ;) ) but my finishing touches would be:
- removing the patches of blue in her hair under her right ear: because of their position and shape, I think they're probably damage rather than 'background' visible through her hair
- adding back some shadow back under her right arm
- darkening (or cloning/patching) the small area of skin at the top of her left arm that's lighter than the surrounding skin tone
- removing the 2 small white dots on her left eye
- evening out the shadow of her dress on her left leg; there's some red in there so it looks a bit bruised to me ;)
- blending in the shadow on the front chair leg
- evening out the background color/tone (cloning/patching or painting a flat color and adding back some fine 'noise')

I would be tempted to add a touch more color/warmth to her skin (especially her face) but that's up to you.

Mike
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Mhayes

Kind of in a rush this morning as crew coming by to do a documentary on OPR--small part as it is about scrapbooking. But one thing caught my eye was Mike's comments on "_removing the 2 small white dots on her left eye."

Do NOT remove these small dots as are they are the catch lights taken with a specific type of flash--it is NOT damage.

Beautiful restore Bambi.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Welcome to the party melker! I can see you are going to be a wonderful addition around the cooler.  :cool:
Wonderful job so far Bambi. Agree with Margie about the catch lights in the eyes and like Hannie, wonder about the larger white spots towards the corner of her right eye? Hard to tell what is damage sometimes.

Lynnya

Welcome Melker.. glad to meet you :)  Look forward to some new tips and seeing your work..
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mike Morrell

@Bambi, Margie,

In both eyeballs there are two small catchlights as Margie rightly points out. These are reflections of the studio lights.
In addition to these catchlights there are (only one her left eye) two small white spots. The most obvious is the one at the bottom-left of her eyeball (across both the bottom-left eyeball and the white of her left eye). Much less visible but similar is a second white spot only in the white of her left eye. These two white spots are not catchlights.

Mike

Quote from: Mhayes on October 15, 2017, 11:13:20 AM
... one thing caught my eye was Mike's comments on "_removing the 2 small white dots on her left eye."

Do NOT remove these small dots as are they are the catch lights taken with a specific type of flash--it is NOT damage.

Beautiful restore Bambi.

Margie

Bambi

Thank you all for your comments. This is why I love posting on Forum.

Mhayes

Okay Mike, I see what you are talking about. I wonder was this damage or did the moisture in her eye cause it?

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Mike Morrell

Quote from: Mhayes on October 15, 2017, 07:04:31 PM
... I wonder was this damage or did the moisture in her eye cause it?

Margie
You're right that it's not always easy to distinguish 'damage' from reflections, 'natural' differences in color/tone, etc. I try to weigh up:
- the probability of something being 'damage' or a 'feature' in the photo, based on the position, shape and extent of the difference within the scene as a whole photo and getting clues from other damaged areas
- whether a 'small correction' might improve or detract from the photo

In this case the two white spots in only the left eye are more likely to be damage (introduced at some stage in the life-cycle of the photo). It's less likely that moisture in only one eye only would have this effect while the catchlights in the same eye are unaffected. The two white spots are also much 'whiter' than the catchlights which is usually a giveaway.
Mike