• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Computer problems, again!

Started by Hannie, September 23, 2017, 05:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannie

Hi  everyone,

Just a short note to let you know I have not gone AWOL. 
Computer will not load Windows and as I have had this issue before I contacted the shop that assembled my PC.  Turns out, after all this time, that Windows 7 is not compatible with my state of the art SSD M.2 drives.  Would have saved me a lot of trouble if I were warned about that earlier....

As soon as things are back to normal, I'll be back.

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mhayes

Hannie, we look forward to your return! Right now you and Lynn are soulmates.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

Shadow

Heaven knows we feel your pain. Look forward to your return!

Shadow

How's it going Hannie? What's the latest prognosis on the 'puter?

Hannie

Will get my puter back on Tuesday (yay), then I have to get used to Wi10 and install all my applications.  I can't remember how many time I have installed Photoshop these last 2 years!   ::) ::
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Tuesday will be a good, albeit, busy day. Don't know if you have friends on W10. If you don't, there are some good sites with tips on how to turn off some of the auto updating and how to improve your privacy and minimize data and info gathering. Good luck with all your program installations. Look forward to seeing you back here soon!

Hannie

Tuesday came and went.  I was ready to throw a party:  never did my computing monster work so smoothly and fast, I mean fast!
Quite happy with Windows 10 so far.  At log in if you skip the tile interface you get the desktop with your own shortcuts etc. 
Installed all of my programs, printers, Wacom without any hassle, Windows 10 is smart, did not even need to install Logitech unifying software, mouse and keyboard work nicely together with just 1 USB dongle. 
Windows 10 even figured out that I once had reserved the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. 
A clean install but it activated immediately with a digital license code. 

Then stupid, stupid me did an update for Photoshop CS6 that Adobe offered me. 
Overconfident with my successful installation I accepted this sneaky update and it turned out to be an upgrade to Photoshop CC!!
Tried to uninstall it but it would not.  Long story short:  various attempts to get rid of it resulted in me now owning a computer that will not recognize either keyboard or mouse.... Back to square 1.

I am a digital idiot it seems.   ;D

signed
"life was so nice without a computer"
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Oh Hannie.. I so feel your pain..I know just how you feel!!  :mad:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Shadow

Yep, that CC is a bugger to get off. We feel your pain. We wouldn't refer to you as an idiot ... we would use choice words for Adobe!!  :knuppel:

Mike Morrell

Quote from: Hannie on October 04, 2017, 01:20:02 PM
Then stupid, stupid me did an update for Photoshop CS6 that Adobe offered me. 
Overconfident with my successful installation I accepted this sneaky update and it turned out to be an upgrade to Photoshop CC!!
Tried to uninstall it but it would not.  Long story short:  various attempts to get rid of it resulted in me now owning a computer that will not recognize either keyboard or mouse.... Back to square 1.

Hi Hannie, Adobe - like Microsoft and other software suppliers - has moved from a 'buy our products' to a 'subscribe to our products' business model. CS6 (2012) is the last valid Photoshop 'product' and hasn't been updated since 2014 (when CC came out), except for Camera Raw compatibility. I guess Adobe is doing all it can to move CS6 users to CC. I have a CC subscription so I don't know how to remove it and re-install CS6.  This still doesn't explain why your computer doesn't recognize your keyboard or mouse! This is usually handled by Windows 10. Is the keyboard/mouse problem just with Photoshop CC or (after using it ) or with other programs (e-mail, etc,) ?

If it's general, you could try:

1. disconnecting the mouse and keyboard, turning the PC off and on an reconnecting them. This may 'refresh'the connections
2. If 1 doesn't work, click in Windows/Settings (the 'gear wheel') and then 'Update and Security'. Try to fix the problems with the 'Troubleshooter'.
3. If 2. fails, consider 'Recovery' (multiple options). In the worst case you'll get a clean Windows 10 computer and you'll have to re-install your old programs. But there may be a recent automatic backup 'image'' which you can re-instate.

If the problem is only with Photoshop CC (or after using it) check that the Photoshop/edit/preferences aren't screwing things up. In general any 'preferences' about devices should be set to 'Windows default'.

If none of this helps, hire an 'expert' or take the PC into a repair shop. There may be a voluntary organisation near you that can help too.

Mike
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Tori803

Poor Hannie, have you contacted Adobe support? When I updated from CS5 to CC they said if you didn't like it you could uninstall CC and revert to your previous setup. (Liars)
Tori
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence." -Calvin Coolidge

Hannie

Adobe are liars alright Tori, there is no uninstalling CC!  Very aggressive way to push CC.  The proposed update had a list of CS6 updates including ACR 9.1.1 and there was no way to tell that CC would be installed on my computer.

Thanks for your tips Mike.  Trouble is that when I realized I was stuck with the CC version I tried Windows system restore but Windows 10 was not able to finish the process.  (probably because I had installed the Windows Creator update just a day before). 

Then I used Acronis to recover an image I made after I installed all my programs. 
That is when my computer would not detect keyboard and mouse. 
Numerous restarts, disconnecting, connecting, trying a mouse and board with a tail, still not working. 

I can go back to the store, very friendly service there but I am kind of burned out on the whole computer thing.  :-\

Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Shadow

Hi Hannie. What a nightmare. There are loads of pages from the last 2 weeks on freezing after installing W Creator update. The solutions offered make my head explode. Add in adobe's misbehavior  :-[   Sorry you are stuck with this. If you get the 'puter to behave, here's a link to Adobe Support Email where you can get actual email support to get that dadblasted CC OFF. We are eager for your return and glad you haven't thrown that thing in the water with the swans!

Quick question. Did it work until you used Acronis? Acronis is listed as on of the 3rd party programs crashing comps with W10 CU. Just in case you haven't already seen this: https://appuals.com/windows-10-creators-update-crashes-and-freezes/

Mike Morrell

I truly hate running into software problems (usually following updates) and then having to trawl the internet for possible solutions. It's just such a waste of time and effort! In this day and age, computers should just work! I'm reasonably tech-savvy but I do wonder how users who aren't cope with the problems that occasionally crop up.

I only work on a laptop and luckily, I've had no problems at all with Windows 10. But after updates to various apps (including Lightroom and Photoshop CC) I've found that apps suddenly can't find my license info or that my plug-ins suddenly disappear.

Computers should just work!

Mike
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer