• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Bridal Party

Started by Lynnya, September 15, 2017, 03:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnya

Hi gang... just starting on this one.. I've forgotten half of anything I might have known I've been away so long :P  this is my color correction so far.. the bride's dress doesn't seem white enough to me.. but hmmm maybe later?? Did my usual levels adjust first.. then a curves neutral gray.. and upped the white a tad on whole image...
comments and suggestions always welcome.. thanks..

never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Lynnya

This is my latest wip.. did I take out too much yellow?? there was tons of yellow everywhere.. but maybe I took too much out? Need eyes please..

Bambi

I did like the dress as a little warmer white.

Mike Morrell

Hi Lynnya,

The photo is cleaned up fine but yes, I think you took out too much yellow. This looks like a 1st or 2nd grade classroom where there are vibrant primary colors everywhere! 'Tons of yellow' is a normal part of the scene and I think the person requesting the restore would miss it if it wasn't there. It also affects how other colors are perceived (especially blue) due to color contrasts. I think we should try to maintain the relationship (hue, saturation, luminosity) between colors. If you want to reduce the saturation of background colors to make the group stand out more, it's probably better to reduce the saturation of the whole background very slightly.

In the 2nd WIP, parts of the photo (especially the bride's dress, the red dress and the blouse of the woman to the left of the bride) are brighter.  On my laptop screen, I don't notice much difference to the blue dress. I think lifting the highlights is fine but the shadows are lifted too. For me, this has the effect of making these areas 'flatter' (less depth/texture). In the 1st WIP, the shadows in the bride's dress looks consistent with those in the blue dress. In the 2nd dress there's a notable difference between the two/. So I'd use a curve that maintains the shadows but lifts the highlights. In the woman's blouse (with pastel colors) the brightness has the effect of reducing the saturation of the colors. The same is true for the picture on the wall (top-right) and the globe. Both have less color and less contrast.

A minor point: in the 2nd WIP, there's a very small 'smear' across the blue dress (between the woman's breasts).

Hope this helps,

Mike

Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Lynnya

Thanks Mike for your input.. all makes perfect sense.. I agree with everything you've said  :up: Will re address.

Lynnya

Added back in some yellow.. also fixed smear on dress and added one adjustment layer blend mode Multiply 8%- probably didn't need the multiply layer but thought it might need deepening a tad.. comments and eyes welcome please..

Mike Morrell

Hi Lynnya,

I've spent most of the afternoon working on just one face so it's good to see progress on a different photo ;)

The color correction looks about the same as your 1st WIP. This one looks a lot better to me than your 1st or 2nd (bright) WIP. The yellows look great. Almost the same intensity as the 2nd WIP but cleaner and fresher. The dresses/blouse look great too. You've cleaned and brightened up the whites without losing any color, shadows or contrast. Compared to the 2nd WIP there's also more skin color back in the faces.

I would be very happy with this version. I leave it to 'the experts' to add comments :)

Mike

Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Hannie

Beeautiful Lynn!

:up:

Hannie
Hannie Scheltema
Distribution Coordinator
[email protected]

Lynnya

Thanks Mike and Hannie...

I was happy with it but never really know until others weigh in..sometimes I miss a lot and Hannie is the "color expert"..  :hug:

Shadow