• Welcome to Operation Photo Rescue's Online Community.

Family Christmas pic

Started by Mike Morrell, September 15, 2017, 01:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Morrell

Thanks Lynnya,

I see what you mean about the area on her left eye. Zooming in on her eyes, there's still a bit of more precise work to be done. I think her right eye could be just shade whiter too.

Mike
Musician, Photographer and Volunteer

Shadow

Mike, you sure are a brave fellow. What a toughie. When I downloaded the latest WIP it comes up as Adobe RGB for the color space so I went back and downloaded the Orig and funny thing, it opens up in Camera Raw? Might just be me. Anyhoo ... on my screen, on the current WIP there are some blown out areas on the dress and ladies shirt. Went back to the Orig and used the Threshold layer to find the W/B points and then added Curves layer and tweaked both. Below is the result. Just a thought ...

Mike Morrell

Thanks, Shadow!

I'll check the Raw/RGB thing. I hadn't noticed the blown out areas so thanks for this correction too!

Mike

Mike Morrell

I haven't spent much time on this over the past 2 weeks but I've tidied up the woman's eyes and hair and I've adjusted the white levels so that highlights aren't blown out.
Feedback please on things I need to do to finish the job.

Mike

@Shadow: I've reset my 'open with camera raw' preference (which was stored in the file).

Lynnya

Hi Mike.. you've brought this a long way indeed.. bout as far as you can go I'd say.. good work! I'd send them home if it were me.. :up: :up:
never giving up......learning from others as I go...

Mike Morrell

Thanks, Lynnya. Yes, I've reached about my limit on this one (in terms of motivation too!). Unless there are any glaring issues or annoying detail, I really would like to move on to something else!
Mike

Mhayes

Mike, you've come a long way on this one and kudos for taking it on. Sometimes it pays to walk away and come back with fresh eyes. The thing that I really notice is the mother's eye on your right. She looks like she has a black eye. I think on the previous page I see the before , if you could use Lynnya's earlier example.

I noticed where Shadow mentioned opening with Camera Raw preferences. Be careful when you do as in the past  Camera Raw had a default of the 250 dpi which is not the 300 dpi we have these photos in. Maybe there is something to be said for opening in Raw, but I'm not sure why because these photos are not "Camera Raw" photos. You cannot change them to Raw as they are jpgs. You really don't have the editing ability that you would if they were Camera Raw.

Margie
"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]

kiska

Mom's left eye: basic levels, curves. Then a dark curves with black mask. Gradually paint in her eye.

kiska
Photoshop 2021, MacPro

Mike Morrell

Hi Margie and Kiska,

Thanks for the feedback on the 'black eye' and Camera Raw. I'd already turned off the 'Open in Raw' preference.

I'd already followed Lynnya's suggestion too but after repairingg the color/luminosity damage, the woman's face still looked 'flat and pasty. So I had layer upon layer of different shadow and highlight tones (and colors) to 'model' her face. I just masked out 2 of the shadow layers to remove the black eye. Time was running out for this set of photos so I've uploaded my 'final' version for Quality Control.

Mhayes

Mike,

I did kind of a "quick and dirty" on the the little girl. I also brought back more of the mother's eye on your right that I would work on later. What I do on these kind of photos is find some good areas and use the lasso tool with 2 pix radius (soft edges) and then I do a Ctrl J to copy that on its own layer. I use the short cut key "V" to move and often use the transform tool and then pick flip horizontal if picking from the opposite side of the face. Usually I need to rotate, so will hit Ctrl T and use the handles to rotate. Once I get it where I want, then hit Enter. Sometime when I moved that layer over, the skin did not match, so I did a Ctrl J and duplicated and them went up to "Color Mode" on the layers and would either us Screen or Multiply--one lightens and the other darkens--then I would adjust the opacity and merge down. On her face, when I did that, I used a layer mask and concealed all and then painted in what I wanted. Below is the results and it is still not there.

"carpe diem"

Margie Hayes
OPR President
[email protected]